I have oto fry!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
A few days ago I noticed yellow eggs in my new 20 gallon that could have only come from my otocinclus. Those disappeared over the weekend but I could not find any fry, I figured they had hatched and the fry had been eaten. Today when I looked in the tank I spotted a tiny oto fry on the leaf of a fake plant!

Here are the best pics I could get of the little guy:
oto fry 2.JPG

oto fry 1.JPG

oto fry 3.JPG

I have a couple questions about how to care for the oto fry.

What do I feed them?

What are some basic oto fry care instructions?

P.S. Thanks for the otos Msjinkzd! :)

oto fry 2.JPG oto fry 3.JPG oto fry 1.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, congrats Jacob! I think James feeds his oto fry zucchini, either zapped or frozen then thawed to soften it up. Keep looking maybe there are more fry.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Congrats!

First off...are there any other fish (non Oto) in the tank? That will be the major factor.

To feed the fry, you want very fine particulate food. What I do for the first few weeks, is grind up Ken's Veggie Flakes and Sticks into a very fine powder. I then will mix a small amount with some tank water. Mix very well and then pour out over plants and decor where you see the fry at.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
There is a betta and a school of cardinal tetras. As for the food, would hikari first bites work? I have some of that already.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
There is a betta and a school of cardinal tetras. As for the food, would hikari first bites work? I have some of that already.
Not sure how the first bites will go over as they contain fish meal and other protein meal sources. The betta will be an issue if it sees the little fry guy(s).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store