heater for brackish water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I'm trying to set up a 20gallon brackish with a green spotted puffer in it for my girlfriend. I have the tank cycling and was looking into a heater. I have all freshwater tanks and I stumbled across something saying there were different heaters for saltwater tanks. Do I need to get a different heater for this brackish tank or will one similar to one of my freshwater heaters work fine?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
So long as it's sealed, I've never seen a heater that wasn't good for either FW or SW, including brackish.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
GSP's need bigger than a 20, 29g is the smallest you can go, and that will be cramped....

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
29G is plenty for a single GSP. You can keep one in a 20G until maybe 3 inches if it has a ton of decorations and things that break up line of sight. It will need a larger tank eventually.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I'll get a growout for it

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
What type of 20g? An upgrade from a 20L to a standard 29 probably won't even be noticed. If you are gonna upgrade then a 30/30B or bigger would be better then a standard 29. They make more use of the horizontal space then the vertical (you may see them use the vertical space a lot in smaller tanks, but it is generally a sign of boredom).

As for heaters, there shouldn't be a difference. Just about all equipment will work in either, and generally the stuff that doesn't cross over is from saltwater to freshwater rather then freshwater to saltwater.

Last edited:

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I know that my Aqueon heater said that it was for fresh or saltwater, they have em in pretty much every size....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store