Questions about Figure 8 Puffers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

admira_ ackbar

AC Members
May 6, 2011
I'm considering getting a figure 8 puffer in a couple of months and I'm trying to get as much information as I can before hand. I have a 20 gallon long hanging out in my utility room for 1 puffer. I've been researching things and I've gotten some conflicting information, so I'm hoping to get some more concrete answers.

1. Gravel or Sand? I've seen people recommend both, and I've had a couple of people say that sand is a nitrate factory.

2. What types of brackish plants are best for the figure 8? Do they have plants they prefer? My Dwarf puffer really digs my amazon swords, he rests often in the font one.

3. What frequency should I do water changes for the figure 8?

4. What types of live foods are ok to feed? I have oodles of ramshorn snails milling about my home tank, and I get them from work for free because I work in a pet store.

5. Are bumble bee gobies ok to keep with the figure 8? Will the figure 8 attack them? Are there any other acceptable tank mates for them?

Lastly, any tips on caring for and keeping figure 8s?

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
1. Sand. These little dudes kinda curl up at night and settle on the bottom to sleep. The first few times you see it you will think they are dead. Fear not! They'll regain their color over 5-10 minutes and start moving around normally... and probably begging for food. Cause that's what puffers do. Since they spend time on the bottom and have no scales, less pointy bits in your substrate = better. Cleaning is actually easier than gravel, you kind of wave the gravel vac a couple inches above the sand and all the poop just floats up and out. Of course it shows waste much more easily than gravel, so you'll probably be using the gravel vac more. Better for your puffer. Don't be lazy. ;)

2. Plants are a huge pain in the butt in brackish water, in my experience. Everything I try dies. Then again, I have a Green Spotted Puffer and he's in almost marine conditions at this point, so plants are good as dead when they touch the water. Hopefully you have better luck in lower brackish (I do not believe figure 8's demand the high salinity of GSPs as they age / grow). Java fern and Java moss are the two most commonly recommended brackish water plants I can think of off the top of my head. Hopefully others will chime in here, as I'm only just getting in to planted aquaria and am only dealing with full freshwater plants. Remember if you do go planted (which again, should be possible in low brackish) you'll want a filter that can be run easily without activated carbon. I recommend an Aquaclear 110, since the carbon is easy to take out and replace with filter floss (buy it as pillow stuffing at fabric stores or Walmart -- much cheaper, exact same thing) to add better water polishing and more area for a biofilter to establish.

3. I'd recommend 50% weekly to start. Please, please use fishless cycling to prepare your tank! Introducing a scaleless fish like a Figure 8 or GSP to an uncycled tank is a recipe for disaster. A 50% weekly change is not a huge deal if it's just a 20G tank. Couple buckets and you're done. Watch water parameters -- there's a good chance you'll eventually be able to go 2+ weeks without them getting out of hand.

4. Snails are really good to wear down teeth. Last thing you want is to end up playing dentist. The rule of thumb for GSPs is snails roughly the size of their eye, so only the tiny ones. I recommend setting up a snail breeding tank (or you can probably just bring them from work). It's easy. Snails are pretty chill like that. I also feed live ghost shrimp purchased at my LFS. Petsmart and such tend to overcharge like crazy for ghost shrimp ($.33 each? Seriously?) so hopefully you can get a better price than that. Some puffers will ignore shrimp, though. One note here: Don't overfeed krill / mysis / other shrimp. They have a compound in them that can build up over time and basically give your puffer lock-jaw. Varying their diet is important. I generally feed krill, blood worms, tubifex, some live ghost shrimp, Hikari carnisticks (he hates these and I pretty much have to starve him before he'll look at them, but really, variety is important).

5. Figure 8s are pretty mellow and stay smaller than GSPs. In hindsight, I probably should've gone with a figure 8 over a GSP due to space constraints and a desire to keep other fish in the tank (my GSP is a murderer, flat out -- everything I've tried has ended up with fins missing within hours, returned for its own good). Hindsight is 20/20. Figure 8s do best in low to medium brackish water. They are not as long lived as GSPs, which reach 15 years regularly, with a lifespan of around 5 years. They also don't reach the size of GSPs, which can hit 6-8" eventually. Most Figure 8s rarely exceed 3".

A 20 long should be plenty for a single figure 8. If you go up to something like a 30 breeder two could be kept together. They can be territorial and are very inquisitive and active, so have a lot of decorations to break up line of sight from one area of the tank to another to reduce aggression and give the fish something to explore. If it starts "pacing" up and down the glass it is more or less "bored" -- it has investigated everything in the tank, found no points of interest, and is looking for a new area to explore. Of course, being in a glass box this search isn't likely to come up with much. Over-filter heavily! Puffers are messy eaters and can be lazy / let things rot. I use a Penguin 350B on a 20 gallon long for my single juvenile Green Spotted, if that gives you any idea. Again, and Aquaclear 110 is probably a good choice. I plan to replace my Penguin (due to noise) with a huge canister rated for 150G tanks. ;)

These little guys will get to know who feeds them and watch you very closely more than likely. I do not believe there is any sexual dimorphism (no way to determine gender) in Figure 8s, much like GSPs.

Any other questions feel free to ask, I've been keeping and reading about brackish water puffers for a couple years now. :)

Last edited:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
You could probably do a couple F8's in that tank, but puffers are always tricky that way. F8's are better at accepting tankmates though.

I'd add about Bumblebee Gobies, they are gobies so they are pretty tough for their size. I have a few living with a few Dwarf Puffers and they don't bother each other. I've heard plenty of stories about them living perfectly fine with F8s. The tricky thing though is, there are multiple species that get labeled 'Bumblebee Goby'. Some are brackish only, some tolerate freshwater or brackish, and some are freshwater only. This is why you sometimes see debates form on what water to keep Bumblebee Gobies in.

You may want to get some Pond or Bladder snails to raise for food. They stay about the right size as adults for F8's & GSP's to eat. Ramshorn get a bit big so you'd probably be picking out babies for the puffers.

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
id highly recommend sand for the look, but as said before, waste will DEFINITLY build up.. if u have a setup that is heavily decorated (thus, leaving some spots hard to reach for cleaning without taking stuff apart) then waste will build up for sure. unless of course u have good water flow EDIT* if this happens, do what im going to do, which is get a powerhead =]* . a aqua clear 110 on a 20 gallon sounds amazing, i use a 110 and two 70's on my 75. i still use carbon tho (and with all the space inside, i double up on carbon actually) my puffer LOVES to sleep in the sand, i have a spot of sand surrounded in rocks that he has claimed as his bed. circuit is right, they will come to know (and love?) u as there owner. my puffer is so familiar with me, he will float around quite calmly into my hand so that i can pick him up out of the tank and place him elsehwere (for my snail feedings, usually) with no signs of stress or panic. hes my dawg.

my gsp has never been agressive towards other fish. shrimp crabs crayfish and snails.. well tahts a different story haha. u do want to be careful of ur puffer swimming up and down ur glass. thats a sign of sheer misery, and i know that personall, i cant stand to watch it. make sure your tank has good activity and decor to keep him lookin for stuff.

as well, try mangroves! i know absolutely nothing about them but boy, it sure sounds like a cool idea.

oh and i used to have bumble bee gobies with my gsp. whenever i put in aquarium salt after a water change, the gobies and puffer would swarm over the salty area together and payed no mind to eachother.

lastly, puffers from what i have seen will only eat meaty stuff, so like buddy said above, VARIETY! i feed krill, bloodworms, plankton, frozen foods, snails, shrimp (live, dried, or frozen) and of course SNAILS, buddy up above is right about being dentist. i have to do that now because i neglected this problem.. its not a fun situation. so keep snails on deck. i have a big popcorn bowl filled with a whole lotta baby snails from my LFS (diff species too) and i have some plants in there with them. i keep it near a window so it collects algae and bam, snail factory.

sorry if any of this sounds like a copy of whats been said already.. just giving my personal experience two sense (or is it two cents?)

admira_ ackbar

AC Members
May 6, 2011
I had the aquaclear filters growing up as a kid, they always worked nicely. Is there a reason for the preference? On my 10 gallon I have a tetra whisper but I hated the bio bag so I bought a sponge filter that fit. Odly enough after I put this sponge filter in, this bacteria probelm I had went away. It was the bacteria that looks like algea but makes giant green sheets that peel off of everything. I was planning on having a reasonably planted tank. I actually just ran into an aquatic plant hobbyist at my work yesterday and she told me that Melon Swords would take root in the sand and that they could handle the salt. So I'm interested in trying those, if they start going south I'll just take them out and put them in my 10 gallon.

Oh! I was meaning to ask. The petstore I work in only carries freshwater, so when I order the figure 8 it will be coming straight from the distrubuter. So since it won't have time to hang aroun in those tanks and become aclimated to the freshwater, how should I go about making sure the puffer is aclimated to the proper salinity level?

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
i just like the AC mostly cuz they are the only brand i ever worked with. most places i go say that they are the best kinda filter that just hangs on the back. id highly recommend to get a good effect from them, you tripple the filltration, however, i only have a 30 gallon filter on my 25 tanganyikan, and that tank is beautiful (im still going to upgrade though). their design and easy customability makes them my favorite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store