Kordon's NovAqua Plus claims it can help stabilize pH??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Kordon's NovAqua Plus (sp?) claims it can help stabilize pH.

Any ever try/ experience/ document/ etc this with their tank??

(I only need to raise the pH just a tad - it tends to be about 6 - 6.4, I'd like 6.4 - 6.8, but stable. And I'm just wondering if I could use this instead of seachems neutral whatsit, cause the kordon is generally in-stock and the neutral stuff is not.)

Thanks!

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Anyone with experience with this?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Any idea what your KH is like?

Adding chemicals like that without accounting for the buffers in your water is pointless IMHO. You would be better off adding a bit of crushed coral or something similar to raise it a bit.

That being said, unless you are having issues then I wouldn't recommend changing anything. If you are experiencing any drops below 6.0 or you are testing at that point often (which is usually the lowest kits even register) then I would be a little worried...

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I would try adding Tetra Easy Balance to your tank. It has buffers in it as well as nitrate absorbers. I have used it in the past for tanks that were unmanageable due to their fish load, it does help but is no substitute for water changes and proper husbandry :)

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Snails prefer a pH above neutral, or at least neutral. Raising the pH slightly sounds like a good idea to me, I know she has snails.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Any idea what your KH is like?

Adding chemicals like that without accounting for the buffers in your water is pointless IMHO. You would be better off adding a bit of crushed coral or something similar to raise it a bit.

That being said, unless you are having issues then I wouldn't recommend changing anything. If you are experiencing any drops below 6.0 or you are testing at that point often (which is usually the lowest kits even register) then I would be a little worried...
Not quite a +1, because I don't completely understand everything he's saying, but I was going to mention crushed coral instead of a chemical additive as well.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
The nitrifying bacteria are far less efficient below 6.0 and some physiological processes for fish, such as sodium uptake, are inhibited.

If the test kit only registers 6.0 or higher and the actual pH is dipping below that then the OP may have issues. Other than that and say having fish/inverts that are much more sensitive to said conditions then not much point in bothering with the exact levels...

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
The nitrifying bacteria are far less efficient below 6.0 and some physiological processes for fish, such as sodium uptake, are inhibited.

If the test kit only registers 6.0 or higher and the actual pH is dipping below that then the OP may have issues. Other than that and say having fish/inverts that are much more sensitive to said conditions then not much point in bothering with the exact levels...
Yes, having some issues. I've been accounting for all kinds of things that could be causing the issues for many months now - slow process- and theorectiacally at least, raising the ph a wee bit would/could help with some of the issues.

issue 1, when I first posted the query, the water was so soft that the snails were disintegrating faster than they could reproduce!
They have since been doing somewhat better, I tried (and yes I did try doing research first, just couldn't find much) at least a few months ago, maybe it was Jan or March when I started, adding some calcium to the water, I thought it would help there shells. The only calcium I could find was - ok I don't hve the bottle with me, but I think it's called 'Seachem Reef calcium.' Which is obviously not normally intended for freshwater lol, but it didn't have a lot of ingredients in it so I thought I'd give it a try.

The calcium does seem to have helped somewhat, with the shells, and other effects noticed:
Some of the plants perked up a little shortly after starting the calcium - even though I later found out that the calcium for plants is calcium sulfate (if I remember correctly), and not the kind in the bottle, so perhaps they were affected indirectly somehow instead of directly?

Also noted after begining calcium experiement, the water hardness had previously been around 75 and below when tested, after regularily using the reef calcium - the colors are a little hard to tell apart but - the hardness has increased to about 150 (gh?), occassionaly possibly 300, so I've dialed back a bit. I found out more recently the other 2 ingredients affect water hardness, of which my source water is very low on.
(I now have a whole bunch of baby quilted melanies. :) And the nerites shells aren't turning all chalky and pitted.)
The bottle says - for saltwater - to start at 5ml for 20g. I started with 2ml / 29g.

Oddly enough, 2 of the smaller tanks have also increased the ph and alkilinity (kh?) since adding the calcium, they both run about 7 and 7.2 ph, and are almost... I think it was 80? nearly alkilinity, which is the highest alkalinity level of all my tanks.
The rest of tanks, including the 29g are usually about 40.

"I would try adding Tetra Easy Balance to your tank." -
I do use easy balance, it has raised the ph about .4 lol. I think it was below 6, and when the test says 6 all the time.. . I've got to wonder ya know? That's one of the reasons I'm a little concerned, if it raised it to 6.2/6.4, then what was it before?

The tank just seemed to be happier -for the short time is was at - about 6.8.

I think the novaqua also had some other stuff in it, I don't remember at the moment if it had declor or not, I haven't looked at it in a while, I just thought if I was going to try it for it's other stuff, I wondered if it's claim about ph was true.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I find the lack of an MSDS for the product fascinating.
We could make suppositions, but the base line is NovAqua Plus contains water, some form of sodium thiosulfate, un-named polymers, un-named buffers (other Kordon products use Borates), un-named herbal compounds and a preservative.
I'd prefer to see a chemical analysis before I'll accept that it buffers anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store