Pool sand substrate coupla questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
1. Does anyone know the pH of pool filter sand?

2. If it's not acidic, how am I supposed to grow Amazon species of plants in it? I really don't want to bury lots of little pots. I'd really like to plant directly in the sand.

I realize some plants are more picky than others (like Eriocaulon Mato Grosso), so would sand be okay for the majority of plants?

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
But it has to have a pH. What is it? 7.0?

It being inert is fine, I'd use root tabs.

What does CEC stand for?

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Pool filter sand will not affect the ph of your water either up or down.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I'm having a really hard time deciding on a substrate for my new tank... I need it to be soft/smooth enough for burrowing fish but good for growing plants too.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
1. Does anyone know the pH of pool filter sand?

It is an inert substrate, so it won't affect the aquarium's water chemistry either way. Many rocks, such as granite, are also inert.

Some substrates, like ADA Amazonia substrate (and things like driftwood and leaves) will acidify your water. Conversely, some substrates like crushed coral sand (and rocks such as limestone) will add carbonate hardness and make your water harder.

How hard or how soft they make your water, all depends on your tap water's composition to begin with. If it's very hard, it will have a lot of "resistance" and things like driftwood may hardly make any difference in the water chemistry. If it's very soft, like much of the tap water in NYC, it will make more of a difference. The stability of hard water is actually a blessing for most basic fishkeeping...if you're trying to breed fish it might be another story.

I already linked you this article before for that Rift Lake salt recipe, but if you didn't read the whole thing, I would encourage you to...it really helped me understand water chemistry better:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwh2oquality.htm

2. If it's not acidic, how am I supposed to grow Amazon species of plants in it?

Growing plants in pool filter sand is no different from growing plants in gravel, except for ONE thing - it is finer. Plant roots are delicate and root better in a fine substrate. Some plants will grow ok in gravel, but most would much rather have sand. The exception being Anubias, Java fern, etc. which don't have roots in the substrate.

You will need root tabs for heavy feeding plants like Amazon swords, these will need to be replaced regularly. As Jeta said, PFS is not the best substrate because it doesn't do anything really, except provide an anchor for roots. However it's way superior to gravel because most plants just can't root well in gravel.

Having a substrate with nutrients in it (PFS has none, of course) is helpful because it cuts down on having to do liquid dosing with fertilizers, which can lead to algae issues. That's why people are willing to pay top dollar for substrates like Fluorite and Eco Complete.

If you are trying to grow plants that only do well in soft water (many, if not most, are pretty adaptable) then the real issue is adjusting your tap water's parameters, either by mixing R/O water or rainwater with your tap water. When choosing a substrate for a planted tank, the effect on pH is not really the most important factor at all. Most don't have much effect at all, except for the ones specifically marketed that way (Amazonia, Cichlid Sand, etc.)

Here are some substrate reviews if you are ever considering a commercial substrate:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/8/page/

In my personal opinion, it's beneficial to invest in a commercial substrate in tanks less than 20-30 gallons. Tanks over that amount, 40+ gallons, it's worth it to try and come up with some DIY solutions, such as Jeta's substrate (Oil-Dri, very similar to a kitty litter substrate).

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have 2 well planted tanks with PFS as substrate. I have an Amazon sword that is now too big for the 75 gallon tank it is in. I also have corries and plecos that have not been able to dislodge my plants.
I put down a layer of laterite mixed with clay cat litter (unscented, no additives), then added my sand on top to a depth of 3 inches. I added my plants and filled it with water. My plants grow well and I seldom add ferts, it's sort of hit or miss when I add it as I don't have a mandated schedule like most people do. I add whenever I happen to remember to do so.

Inert means it has no Ph value at all. Has no effect in any water.

Last edited:

tharsis

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
Sand is great, just add your roottabs and you are good to go. It doesn't have a high CEC like eco-complete or flourite but if you keep up with fertilizing your substrate it really doesn't matter.

CEC stands for Cation Exchange Capacity - substrate with a high CEC means that it will be able to store cations (Mg-Ca-K) inside the crystal structure of the material. Zeolites/clays/activated carbon all have the ability to adsorb these cations making them desirable in these types of substrate. Alot of people will use cheapo kitty litter mixed in with their sand because it is composed of clay (good CEC). The roots can then access these stored elements when ferts are not readily available.

A high CEC substrate is good but it is not essential if you keep up with your fertilizer dosing. Roots will draw nutrients from the most readily available source, it is more difficult to draw the nutrients from the crystal structures so if given a choice they will draw from the root tab first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store