Feeding scooter blenny.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Greetings all! After keeping 4 turbo snails alive for a week in my 40g breeder I went out and got two fish from a friend who broke down his 75g. I received a pajama cardinal and scooter blenny. The pajama cardinal eats spirulina flake, but I was told the scooter would be mad hard to feed and am worried I got in over my head. The 30~ pounds of live rock should have a decent amount of pods, but I'm still uneasy. Should I feed frozen mysis or try and culture my own pods? Thanks!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Scooters will take frozen much more often than not. Flakes probably not. Having a fuge to provide a source of pods would be a good idea in any case.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If the scooter isn't already eating prepared foods it is much easier to get it going in a small tank or a breeder net. If it has the choice to eat pods or frozen it will probably prefer the former and ignore the later. I have read good things about Nutramar OVA or roe from a local fish market. Most of the oriental markets around here sell roe. You definitely started off with one of the tougher fish (happens to lots of us). I would probably shutt all your flow off and try and feed it small amounts of spirulina brine and mysis a few times a day. Who knows maybe you will get lucky and it will start eating pellets for you. The other option would be to buy live pods or trade it to someone with a large tank or your LFS. Keep an eye on its weight and if it starts looking thin you should proably move it somewhere it can get the food it needs.

betta splendens

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
my scooter blenny loves frozen bloodworms. I think it likes the red color. In any case, even if bloodworms are not very healthy, they are a good food to get it started eating. once it starts eating frozen, you should have no trouble getting it to eat mysis and brine shrimp. Once he starts to eat, be prepared for puppydog-like begging and cute displays every time you walk up to the tank! here is a picture of mine displaying :)

saltwater tank 153.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store