Surprise angel babies, need guidance!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
A couple nights ago, I looked over at my fishtank to see my angelfish fanning her eggs! (I didn't even know they had laid eggs. I had seen them cleaning off the filter intake tube.

Long story short, I just went over to turn on the lights, feed the fish... I noticed one of the eggs had some fungus. They laid once a couple weeks ago, I guess that was a practice run because they ate them the next day. So I wasn't expecting much this time.

They have tails!!! I'm so excited! But now the wrigglers are coming off the filter tube, and the parents are needing to spit them back onto. I'm going to read online about caring for the eggs, but I don't know what to do! Help!

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
they usually stay wigglers for 3-4 days.. the parents may move them..after wigglers they will become free swimmers..you can let the parents tend to them or remove the free swimmers if you choose to raise them.. either way.. you'll need food for freeswimmmers..usually BBS or super fine crushed flake..I've always had best luck with BBS then convert to finely crushed flake.. some use fry food..this didn't work for me.

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
My concern is the eggs don't seem to be ready to come off yet. I've caught 2 tailed-eggs and put them in a dish in the tank. Should I bother trying to rescue the eggs that don't stick? If they hatch successfully, could I re-introduce them to the parents when all the fry are free swimming?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if you remove them they may continue parenting..IME parents may learn parenting but in many cases they eat the free swimmers when ready to spawn again.
I prefer to let nature take it's course until free swimmers..I then move free swimmers to grow out tanks.
you may choose to let the parents run with it.. good parents will raise the fry a point where they can feed on 'regular' food(usually crushed flake)..but this will vary from pair to pair...
in my case I discovered removing the fry was best at free swimmer,
you should decide if you want to take on the extra work of raising fry..then go from there..

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Well, I'm going to scrap the catching the "droppers". She has figured out a system of placing the tailed-eggs on top of the flat part of the intake. I turned the filter off for now. I'll most likely end up emptying a 5g that has a couple platy fry and put the angel fry in there when it comes time. (Probably once they're free swimming, and have a bigger chance of being picked off by other tankmates.) Scratch that. I may follow what Star_Rider said, and see if the parents can raise them big enough. I know they guy who had the fish and tank before me said he did have a pair who bred, so maybe they will resist the urge to predate on their fry. If I see the fry dwindling to terribly small numbers, I may remove them, but until then, I guess I'll keep a hands off approach.

Clever fry placement.
IMGP0114.JPG

Daddy in foreground, mommy in back.
IMGP0090.JPG

IMGP0090.JPG IMGP0114.JPG

Last edited:

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap