IS THIS A BROWN BRISTLE NOSE PLECO OR SOMETHING ELSE???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i got these when they were fry so to speak i got a bag of 2 brown long fin bn and a bag from a different person of 3 bn long fins
so far they have grown nicely but 2 were huge comapred to the others and seemimg_0311.jpged a bit different they have a strange patern like if they were mixed with a different breed, or a completely different breed altogether, the other day thimg_0309.jpge other large one died, a sponge i had on an intake fell off and it crawled into it and died,.. nice find in the morning,...but today i caught this one witimg_0316.jpgh what looks like fins comming out under his eyes,.. when flared ????

the pics i got were with them layed flat not flared,.. but do adult bn have these?

img_0312.jpg

not sure why this posted them in between my sentances,..lol but the whiskers like on a cat are directly below its eyes, and when flared it looks like short pectoral fins??? any guesses?
all i have is juvie plecos and the ones that breed are still little and this is about double the size of the others of all different tanks,.. but still around 4 inches with fins

img_0312.jpg img_0316.jpg img_0309.jpg img_0311.jpg

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
It does look like a longfin BN to me. They can have great variation in their patterns, and different body shapes. I have an albino BN that is fat and pudgy, almost round, and a white spot BN that has a much longer body shape. By "Fins under the eyes" do you mean the two spiked fins that are on either side of the head that they use for defense? If so, I'll definitely say it's a Brown Longfin BN.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Looks like a brown LFBN to me. Plecs can have bristly gill covers & long frilled gills that can show. My reg brown has whitish tips on his & flares them at me when POd, looks like yours. I thought at first the white was some kind of infection, fungal or bacterial, but it seems not to matter, I've had him for a couple years.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Def looks like a brown BN to me. A lot of mine have a wide variety of different splotches. Some of my brown BNs don't look that different from my calico BN. All BNs have those spikes that they can flare when they want to. They usually do it when they are having territory wars or chasing eachother or other fish, but they def all have them. :)

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Looks like a brown LFBN to me. Plecs can have bristly gill covers & long frilled gills that can show. My reg brown has whitish tips on his & flares them at me when POd, looks like yours. I thought at first the white was some kind of infection, fungal or bacterial, but it seems not to matter, I've had him for a couple years.

I have a Brown LFBN that has a bit more white than dixienuts', but otherwise similar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store