Royal Behaviour

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fozzie_drive

AC Members
Apr 17, 2011
I bought a Royal Pleco on Saturday... his name is Watermelonface (unless anyone else can think of anything better..hahaha)

Anyway, I was just wondering whether it was normal for plecs to remain in the same place and not move for hours and hours upon end?....or is there something wrong?

When are they most active?

It doesnt look as though Watermelonface has eaten today either...despite food being put in the tankIMG_1447.jpg

He is a big fish.... about 8 to 10 inches

Thank for reading :)

IMG_1447.jpg

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Yes, Plecos are almost sedentary during the day. It's normal, especially when they're new to a tank. In a month or two you may notice him being more active during the day but he'll never be super energetic. These are mostly nocturnal fish.

Couple of things.

One, what are you feeding? They often won't take flakes, or will only eat them as a last resort. They do best on vegetable based stuff. Some people feed cucumber and zucchini lightly zapped in the microwave, but I'm lazy and just feed Hikari sinking algae tablets. Mine also sometimes eats some of the sinking Cory food, so he gets his meat and vegetables that way.

Two, do you have driftwood in the tank? If not, get some. They gnaw on it and it helps with their digestion. Try to get a piece (or several ideally) big enough for him to hide under and establish a territory. He'll be a lot happier.

Also glad to see you used the name. :)

fozzie_drive

AC Members
Apr 17, 2011
IMG_1453.jpgI put a handful of frozen peas in the tank and a large chunk of cucumber but he didnt touch any of it. Then I put in some sinking algae pellets. All the other fish couldnt wait to get their little mouths onto the food but Watermelonface didnt even bat an eyelid.

I have a nice big piece of bogwood in there. He was on it (for about 10 seconds) last night but quickly went back to his usual spot in the tank.
Ill keep an eye on him tonight. I hope there is nothing wrong. Still very early days though.

Here is a pic of my tank... needs a bit of work still but im getting there.

IMG_1453.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store