Riparium Articles Clearinghouse

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Riparium Articles Clearinghouse

Over the course of the past couple of years there have a number of articles and similar kinds of media that are all about planted ripariums. The published information on this new kind of aquarium hobby is still sparse and diffuse, so I thought that it could handy to start a thread with a list of these kinds of references.

I include below as subcategories everything that I can think of along with links. I will add to this list and copy the complete update to the last thread post as I make new entries.

Magazine Articles

There is an article that was just published in a hobbyist magazine. I will post the link to the magazine website when they update to the July 2011 issue.

Noteworthy Forum Journals

There have been several descriptions of really great riparium setups that have appeared as forum journal threads of various site. I am going to look for some of these and add links.

Online Articles

The following two articles appear the AquaBotanic.com blog site:

Planted Ripariums: A New Dimension in Aquarium Plant Care
Devin Biggs 2011

Mangrove Riparium Journal - Article #1 of 4
Devin Biggs 2011

Aquarium Features

The following article describes a riparium setup that appeared as Aquascape of the Month at AquascapingWorld.com.

Aquascape of the Month December 2009: South America Stream
Devin Biggs 2009

This article describes a riparium setup that appeared as Tank of the Month at AquaticPlantCentral.com.

June 2009 tank of the Month: Western Mexico Biotope Riparium
Devin Biggs 2009

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
The July 2011 edition of Aquarium Fish International is officially out on newsstands. Here is the link to the excerpt from my article in there...

Ripariums: A New Type of Planted Tank
Devin Biggs July, 2011

Ripariums are a new kind of aquarium/aquascape, and that is the very first description published in a real paper periodical!

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
great work and great article! I knew I had seen those beautiful set ups somewhere - here, as it turns out! Have you ever done a nano riparium? I have a great rimless 12 gallon little tank that is 36 inches long. I can't quite figure out what I want to do with it, but I have this vision of it as a small planted riparium....any ideas for smallish plants that would work? would this work at all? Do any of your setups utilize LEDs? Thanks!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Hey thanks a bunch. There definately are some plant combinations that could work in a tank like that. Have you seen seen my 11.4G riparium journal? I used baby panda bamboo and a few other plants in that setup.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I saw your article, it was fantastic :) Did you basically coin the term? You seem like the authority, and your store is THE place to get riparium goodies!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks platytudes!

Apparently yes I did more less come up with the planted riparium concept. It has been a lot of work.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
What a great idea!

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
thanks hydrophyte! I will check out your 11 gallon riparium. I really think these will catch on. They are just beautiful!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Hey thanks everybody. I have a couple more online articles to add and I am writing another magazine article too. I am trying to get a steady stream of articles out to explain this stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store