Please help me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nabob_Mob

AC Members
Oct 27, 2010
Northern Illinois
Angelfish help!!!!!!!

I house three pairs of angels in a divided 75g, the last day or so all three pairs seem very lethargic just half floating at the surface, not gasping, just... blah. still eating whatever falls in front to the faces but nowhere near excited about food.

Parameters:

Temp 84
PH. 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 4

the only change is three growout containers raising fry frequently fed Micro, Walter and Banana worms. I usually raise fry in separate tanks but, well, space, ya know.

the only physical signs of distress I notice is redness where the pectoral fin meets the body.

Fry seem fine with a loss of one or two daily maybe over the past week.

The Fry are from those three pairs that have never been in any other water except meth blue additions during hatching.

Last W/C was Saturday mid day

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Sorry, I will be of no help. just sorry you are worried!! Was there any thig else that changed. New fish that you could have cross-contaminated with? Plants?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
That's awfully warm, try adding more aeration if you cannot get the ambient temperature down. I realize you are breeding them which is likely why you're keeping them at higher temps, but I would let it gradually cool down if possible...it would not hurt to do another water change and run some activated carbon.

The redness on the fins does suggest some kind of finrot or similar bacteria present, higher temps will only exacerbate this. Keep a close eye on them. If they are all exhibiting the redness, then you know it's a systemic, environmental problem...not just a fluke.

Do you have any medicated food on hand? (I would avoid medicating the water, if at all possible.) New Life Spectrum makes an excellent food, Thera-A...also Angels Plus has some terrific food.

Last edited:

Nabob_Mob

AC Members
Oct 27, 2010
Northern Illinois
I'm keeping the temp up for both breeding and the fry (I have raised many this way) as far as airation, each fry container is a modified 2.5 with a sponge pulling fresh in through a drilled hole, in addition to that I have a C-360 canister running in the main tank plus 2 sponges to keep them seeded. So 'm pretty confident that isn't the issue. I did a 60% change today and added salt to the tank, at this point I'd rather save the breeders than the fry. this tanks houses a very old silver pair, my first success, a pair of pairabla, and a pair of PB Green Glitter cross.

Thank you for your efforts, here's hopin,

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Salt might help, I bet the water change will too. Even when water quality is good (as it obviously is from your tests), there is something about fresh water that most all fish seem to find invigorating.

I really hope they get better! I'm a big believer in garlic for immune system support...it does make for a stinky tank unfortunately. Carbon helps ;)

Nabob_Mob

AC Members
Oct 27, 2010
Northern Illinois
whats your garlic treatment method? aside from adding it to food, I've never actually treated a tank with it?

BTW: no additions aside from fry which were hatched and reared in water from that tank.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I don't think you can treat the water with garlic. Freshwater fish don't "drink" much of the water like saltwater fish do.

I just feed garlic flakes (from Angels Plus' website) and Thera-A. There is a way to add pureed garlic to food directly:
http://www.discusnews.com/article/cat-02/carlic.shtml

You can also buy garlic oil capsules from the store, puncture them with a pin and squeeze out the liquid onto pellets. If you make homemade food, you can add garlic as an ingredient...but for it to actually work medicinally instead of just as an attractant, you need more than just a pinch. More than a pinch will make the tank smell, unfortunately.

Nabob_Mob

AC Members
Oct 27, 2010
Northern Illinois
Update:

Today fins are clamped, still swimming upright, not eating at all. Still swimming upright, lost all fry overnight.

Did another 60% change today and cleaned canister.

I'm thinking about treating with a bacterial medication, with either Triple Sulfa or Tetra Cycline. With these pairs being over a year and no additions to the tank I doubt its any type of parasite, no exterior fungal signs I think its the only option at this point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store