I hate my FX5

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
I currently run it on a 125 along with an emporer 400. I came home today and the filter was barely pushing any water. I just put new pads in yesterday. Since I got I have constantly have had trouble with it. It stops and does'nt start back up or it clogs up for no reason. Not sure where people think these are so great. But maybe I just got a bad one. Anyhow, pretty sure I'll be replacing it this weekend. Can you give me any ideas. The tank has two lg. oscars.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
It sounds like you got a bad one, or you aren't stacking media in the proper order, or something. Some combination of factors I suspect. Consider getting it exchanged before you give up on it. Also look up CW04GUNNER's modifications. Switching it to a circumference style filter will help a lot with the clogging, though there's absolutely nothing short of running mud through it that should clog one of these in a single day regardless of media configuration, so I think there's something very wrong with your filter. Again, see if you can get it exchanged. I bet the replacement will be much better.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
anything that automatically shuts down and restarts, is bound to fail sooner of later.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I currently run it on a 125 along with an emporer 400. I came home today and the filter was barely pushing any water. I just put new pads in yesterday. Since I got I have constantly have had trouble with it. It stops and does'nt start back up or it clogs up for no reason. Not sure where people think these are so great. But maybe I just got a bad one. Anyhow, pretty sure I'll be replacing it this weekend. Can you give me any ideas. The tank has two lg. oscars.

I followed it...it has a purge function...

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Yea i've done all different types of media configurations. I still have the same problems no matter what. Think I'm gonna try an eheim on it. I have another 125 thats running an ehiem 2217 and aquaclear 110 and it's doing just fine. But it also only has a MBU Puffer in it too. Need something thats gonna be able to handle two big dirty oscars. Thanks for eveyones input.

oughtsix

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Redmond, Oregon
Real Name
Mike
When the FX5 was working properly were you happy with the water quality in your tank? Are you looking of another off the shelf solution to replace it or something a little more DIY?

I have kind of come to the conclusion that mechanical and biological filtration works best when handled by separate filters. A Magnum 350 seems to be the best off the shelf solution for a mechanical filter. I am very happy with my Eheim 2275 for the biological filtration. They are both running on my 110 gallon. The Magnum is high flow, filters fine particles and is pretty darned easy to clean. I think that easy to clean is the key to mechanical filtration because you want to remove debris before it becomes a nitrogen compound! My Eheim is quite a bit more involved for cleaning. This is mostly do to its large size and multiple trays but it does have A LOT of bio capacity.

I just setup a trickle filter last week... mainly because I wanted to experiment and got it for cheap, rather than my tank really needing it. My initial impressions of the trickle filter is that it has a huge bio capacity. The filter pad on the top is very easy to clean since it can be removed without breaking any seals which is great for removing waste before it becomes a nitrogen compound. It is the best filter I have for oxygenating the water. It is pretty useless for fine particle filtration and water polishing. My current experiment is to see if I can add water polishing capabilities by adding a whole house filter canister in the pump return line. The 20 micron cartridge I currently have in the whole house canister appears to be to porous for water polishing. For $10 I will pick up a finer cartridge and see how that works.

On the same 110 I also have a Fluval 404, an Emperor 400 and periodically use a DE filter in addition to the Eheim, Magnum and trickle. I enjoy experimenting with changing the configuration and seeing how it affects the water quality. When the 110 gallon is moved to its permanent home the filtration will be greatly reduced.

My plan is to move away from the off the shelf bio filters. In the end they all just break down waste into Nitrates that must then be dealt with by water changes. Trickle filters and sumps are the same... just Nitrate factories. I am looking forward to experimenting with a Terrestrial plant filter. I already have a dozen or so Pothos wedged in my spray bar that have rooted and are growing well. Plants convert the Nitrogen compounds we are all trying to get rid of to new growth instead of just breaking it down to Nitrates like bacteria does. It should be fun and I look forwards to experimenting with it.

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Yea just looking to replace it with off the shelf filter. Don't have alot of time to experiment as my job has me traveling alot. Need something that I'm not gonna have to worry about breaking down or cleaning once a week. Also something that my wife won't have problems with if she needs to clean it. I also have a rena xp3 on my 65gal freshwater angel fish tank and I have never had an issue with it. The water is crystal. I know there's alot of negativity on these, but I think they're better than the FX5 right now.

oughtsix

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Redmond, Oregon
Real Name
Mike
It sounds like an XP4 is a great fit for you if you are pleased with your XP3! I can attest the Eheim Pro III's are extremely good filters and fit your criteria very well but they are expensive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store