Help making my corys less shy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

naliel

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
il
I need a little sugestion here please.
I have 7 Corydoras Metae in a 29 gl with a few guppys (1 adult and 6 fry). My corys are extremely shy. As soon as anybody get close to the tank they hide and won't come out, not even when I feed them. If I want to see them at feeding time I have to drop the food in the tank and stay still for a few min before they feel secure enough to come out to eat. Here is a pic of the tank, may be there is something wrong with my set up.
By the way, they are perfectly healthy just to shy. Thanks for any feed backSSPX0187.jpg
Sorry for pic's quality phone is not the best to take them :)

SSPX0187.jpg

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
How long have they been in this tank? If less than two or three months (more if there was a major re-scape at some point in there) give them time. My corys are still very "jumpy" but much more active and outgoing than they were a couple months ago.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Maybe they need some dither fish? Some fish out swimming around all the time, that will show them it is safe to be out. Maybe 1 guppy and the few fry are not enough to convince them it's safe.

I also agree that they might be quite shy if they are fairly new to the tank.

I only have 2 cories and they are a bit shy. Cute though. They swim close together, nearly touching. I am looking to get 6-8 more, but have not been able to find the same species. I'm still hoping to though.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
I only have 2 cories and they are a bit shy. Cute though. They swim close together, nearly touching. I am looking to get 6-8 more, but have not been able to find the same species. I'm still hoping to though.
Only have 2 myself (started with 3, one died almost immediately, either stress or bad stock -- I understand these guys can be very difficult / sensitive to acclimate) and I have the same problem. Mine are juili type, and all I ever see are emeralds, peppered, and sterbai.

kampfer

AC Members
Jun 2, 2011
Singapore
Real Name
Mark
I also agree most corys are shy when they are new in the tank. Once they are used to your presence in front of the tank often, they will have no problem parking and foraging in front of tank in your presence. Try to drop the food pellets near to the front of the tank during feeding.After sometime, they will waiting in front of the tank before the feeding time.

ZomZom

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Davidsonville, MD
I've never owned Corydoras Metae, nor have I ever had shy Corys, but I have noticed that my Albinos in particular like to play in the current, bubbles and sand. Having these in the tank might be a plus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store