HELP!! Sick dragon gobies!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TerribleJakes

AC Members
Dec 31, 2010
Massachusetts
So I screwed up on purpose (as usual) and got 2 really sick dgs from Petco (they gave me one free that was really bad...). I brought them to my lfs for a better idea of what was wrong and got fungal infection, hemeroging (I think), and red spots. I set up a hospital tank and they're being treated with antifungal/antibiotics and made it thru the night, but I dont know much about them except that they're brackish scavengers.
I could study up online but i'd rather get info from DG owners.

These guys have been in freshwater with gravel, how bad is it to keep them that way? Once they heal if they can stay fw, I have a 180gal they could live in. I have black aragonite sand if need be, but it makes such a mess.

Best tank size to house 2 dragons? Do they prefer caves to normal decor?

Bloodworms shrimp pellets and some algea granules a suitable diet?

Thanks guys! Internet info can vary so much I'd rather hear from someone with expirience!

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
I don't have much experience, as far as treating for disease, so can't help with that.

I have one Dragon Gobie. He was also in fresh water when I bought him. I put him in a bucket, and acclimated him to my brackish water. I thought the change in water would be a little stressful for him at first, but I was wrong. As soon as he was released into my brackish tank, he was relaxed and ready for his dinner.

They say, keeping these fish in fresh water, can cause disease, so perhaps adding some Marine salt, will help with these conditions.

Caves will help the Gobie feel more secure. They can be a little shy of light, and more active at night.

They can get quite large if they have room to grow, so the bigger the tank, the better.

Mine eats everything. Shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms, flakes.....but do have some greens in his diet such as algae wafers. The teeth are used to scrape algae off rocks, in nature. There are some recipes for snail jello. This is a favorite for my gobie. (don't need to add calcium)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store