help sex my bristlenoses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I have an albino which I believe to be male and a regular which I think is female. I will be attempting breeding so I wanted to make sure I have one of each sex. First two are the regular (female?) the second two are the albino (male?). Both are about the same size, close to 2"
IMG_0504.JPGIMG_0501.JPGIMG_0469.JPGIMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG IMG_0469.JPG IMG_0501.JPG IMG_0473.JPG

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
albino is definitely a male. as for the regular one, it is hard to tell, as there are some small bristles along the edge of the snout, and sometimes females will have a smidgen of bristles, but sometimes they don't. i have a full grown female bristlenose and she has always been completely devoid of any bristles along the snout edge (either that or she secretly waxes her fishy lip for her pleco hubby, hahahahaha!)

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Was afraid of that, I'm gonna try to get some more pics of the possible female by tonite

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
The pics are fine as they are, it's just a matter of the fact that they're still only 2" long, and their bristles aren't fully developed. So sexing them based on their bristles, is sketchy at best (aside from obvious males with lots of mid head whisker growth).

Right now, I would say regular female, albino male. But 6 months from now, the supposed female may very well get a bushier mustache of her own and turn out to be male after all.

I had a regular bristlenose which I purchased from the LFS as a "female", that was about 2" long. That was around 8 months ago. "She" is now a "he", with a nice bushy nose that puts my old 5" male bristlenose to shame!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store