Really want a female snowflake pleco, afraid to even consider what they cost...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Saw these: Ancistrus sp. "Snowflake"

Pretty much fell in love. Beautiful fish. Ideal would be a female, I've never been fond of the "bristles" on BNs but the females are really pretty. Every other time I've discovered a "designer" pleco I like I've later found they run $100+ for a single fish, and I simply can't afford / justify that. My current common pleco is going to eventually outgrow my 29G and is insanely destructive besides (eats about 1/2 the plants in the tank, even if I feed heavily) so even though he's awesome and really pretty he needs to go. That said I love plecos and would like to have one to replace him.

Please tell me these guys can be found for something resembling a reasonable price? I haven't even looked yet, don't want to kill the dream...

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
If you want a pleco that won't outgrow your 29-gallon tank, look for a clown pleco. They only grow to about 4 inches and have nice markings. Not as flashy as the "snowflake," but nice looking nonetheless. You'll need a fair amount of wood in your tank because they really chow down on it. Also, I must admit you'll rarely see the clown out during the day. Very shy fish. But mine always comes flying out from his driftwood caves to scarf down cucumber. They're also long lived fish.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Not a commonly available species, but Brian usually lists his fish on aquabid when they're ready to move along. You could e-mail him about an estimated release date. Auctions for something like those usually do sell fairly high, but nowhere near $100/fish.
I recently got a group of LDA-08 (Ancistrus claro), a similar-size dwarf Ancistrus species but w/out the white spotted appearance.
Also recently received a group of L-340 Hypancistrus, beautiful little black pleco's with gold stripes. Shame you never see them, like most awesome-looking pleco's they're invisible by day... They're worthless for cleaning algae, but harmless to plants.
I do have loads of super red (actually bright orange) BN juvies available, one of those would also be fine in your 29, and they don't eat plants either.
Juvies look like this:

Adult male:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store