What can I feed mudskippers in a pinch?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shalmainia

AC Members
May 27, 2011
England
Real Name
Tobias
So on occasion, buying mudskipper food could be problematic, bank holidays, shop closing days, cash flow problems.

Are there any experienced mudskipper keepers out there that know of any 'human' foods that could temporarily substitute the every day diet of a mudskipper, that would be as nutritional?

Thanks

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I keep frozen blood worms in my freezer all the time just for that reason. Otherwise if you like crickets you can keep a cricket colony. It is pretty easy and cheap to do.

Shalmainia

AC Members
May 27, 2011
England
Real Name
Tobias
That is a good idea about the bloodworms, I don't know why I didn't think of it. I literally just started, I know what they regularly eat but I was wondering how to prolong their food supply as a just in case measure. So that will work.

I was wondering, since they're mostly carnivorous, for an 'in a pinch' time, would tiny shreds of bacon or some other meats be appropriate?

Thanks Jackiomy.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Bacon is waaay to fatty and will destroy your water perimeters. Not sure about other meats, I wouldnt do it. When I kept skippers I fed them commercially prepared frozen foods and crickets.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Finely chopped raw beef heart. Small amounts only.

Cured/preserved meats won't be great.

Shalmainia

AC Members
May 27, 2011
England
Real Name
Tobias
Thanks OrionGirl. Can I ask, why specifically a heart? Is the more fibrous muscle tissue better nutritionally or is it because it's lacking in fat or you've just had a good success rate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store