YAY baby guppies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

breaker_1113

AC Members
Sep 13, 2002
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
hey im the one that kept asking questions about breeding guppies
and guess wat 3 days and i got baby guppies!!
yay
ne ways i see like 10 in there and my femal didnt make it
also like 3 females jumped out of the tank and i was wander wat i should do to stop that.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Congrats on the babies! I would think if you can see 10, then you probably have 20 (my experience anyway)... maybe not...

Sorry about your female. As far as jumping goes, I have never had a guppy jump out of a tank. The obvious question is what king of covering do you have over it, did it just jump out the heater/filter space on the back?

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
congratulations.

the obvious answer is you need a solid cover of some sort on the tank. i have experienced this with feeder guppies, but not with my fancies. i would check the water for the heck of it too.

there isn't something in there harassing them is there? they might be more apt to jump if the water isn't right or there is another fish chasing them, trying to escape.

good luck

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Fish will generally jump out of a toxic enviroment. If a females eyes turn larger and darker, you can tell she's stressed. This will happen sometimes during water changes, when they experience a sudden change in pH and/or temperature of their water.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
do NOT change the ph right now. that is very important. if you raise the ph above like 7 it will free the ammonia and the fish will die.

i would suggest you start doing water changes, with like 30-50% right away. then another 10-20% daily. this will start to bring the ph up too so you will need to monitor the tank somewhat.

treat the tank as uncycled because it is basically if it's showing ammonia. by letting the ph drop so far you might have killed your bacteria off........

i would suspect your regular maintenance is insufficient and/or you are way overstocked......

the tank will probably need to be re-cycled, and treated like it is uncycled...... possibly the water changes will help, but if the bacteria all died you unfortunately are back to square one, just with fish.

sorry
good luck

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
As I recall, weren't you breeding these guppies as feeders? If so, now may be a good time to fulfil that goal.

Not to hijack your topic or anything, but I am still curious why the guppies I have had for 2 months now have still not bred.

breaker_1113

AC Members
Sep 13, 2002
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
i dont thin my tanl is over stocked i got 5 guppies in a 10 gal and i had like 20 feeders b4 but i toook them all out b4 adding the guppies
any ways i did like a 30%water change today and cleaned my filter
ammo droped to about 1
and im planning to keep doing water changes for a while
al my fry seem to be doing fine as of this moment
and rocketman go ahead and ask questions i dont really care.
ne ways my gups laid babies in like 3 days.
i juss got 6 femals and 3 males and all the females already had gravid spots.
i dout that ur guppies arnt breeding. mabey there getting eaten or sucked up a filter or something. how much plant cover do u have?

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
6 females + 3 males = 5 :confused: :confused:

i'm not busting your stones, and i don't preach about overstocking.

but if you want help with your problems you need to be...... don't know, not going to go there.

i stand behind my previous advice, if you have ammonia your tank is uncycled more than likely, possibly because the ph crashed for whatever reason. keep doing water changes and treat the tank as uncycled and you should make out ok.

just out of curiosity, do you know what your tap water ph and kh is?

maybe when you had the feeders in there it sort of polluted the tank and dropped the ph......

i do really want to help so sorry if this reply started off wrong, but it was sort of to make a point. for us to answer questions and give you good answers we need adequate information. all we can tell you is based on information you provide.

breaker_1113

AC Members
Sep 13, 2002
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
ya sry b4 i had 6=3 but 3 jumped for land and 1 died and now 2
so i have 4 left
that sux bad
ne ways i think i killd most of my bacteria when i changed the temp too rapidly
DUM me
i think i might have it figured out but more help would be nice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com