Rain-X on Paludarium glass?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Title kinda explains it but I'll provide some background info.

I have a 20h I currently grow emersed Crypts and a few others in and I have glass cut ready to be turned into a Paludarium. I was wondering if I could put Rain-X on the glass, Just an inch or two above the water level, to keep condensation from fogging up the view.

Thanks to anyone with some input :)

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i dunno, mellow, it's just a poly-siloxane, like the defoamers used in anti-gas products at the drug store. should be pretty darned inert once it gets rid of whatever carrier they use.

it should be easy to apply to new glass, but on the other hand, i think it would be a royal pain to try to retro-fit the coating on the inside of an existing tank

however, i don't think that the product can prevent condensation -- it just forced the condensation to bead up into visible-size droplets. it is a judgement call as to which you prefer, altho you should be able to see clearly around the drops.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I'm going to have to agree with mellow. If you can avoid putting chemicals in a setup then stay the course. Just wipe off the annoying water drops with a cloth.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
or a squeegee. But its couldn't hurt to ask the question.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Why would you need that?? If the temps between the inside and out side are about the same it won't condense anyway.
I always use condensation as a gage if present too much humidity so either add flowing air ,remove the top equalize temps.
You certainly don't need over 80 percent for any kind of plant. Now controlling humidity on outside windows during cold spells
as well as how to keep water from splashing on the glass from waterfalls REAL problem lol gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store