figure 8 is sick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swarm O gobys

AC Members
May 5, 2011
i bought a figure 8 puffer and i didnt see it untill i got him in my tank that he had ich. i have been raising the salt content in the water slowly but he hasnt gotten any better. the store had him in fresh water with some mollys that where sick :wall:

but he doesn't seemed affected by it because he eats tons and is constantly begging for food and swims all day with almost no stop.

is there anything else i can do to help him get better and will the salt take effect eventualy or is it not gonna make a difference

swarm O gobys

AC Members
May 5, 2011
any people know anything bout cureing puffers for ich. other things i could do to help because he will now swim by a rock and itch him self so it seems to be getting worse plzz some one give me some suggestions i havnt really had any luck with puffers because they all die from ich. my first one was a green spotted puffer he got better but then died. just layed in a corner all black and died. so some one help can i use Mardel CopperSafe to cure him or will this have bad effects

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Heat to speed up the life-cycle, salt if it is freshwater ich, and time. You have to accelerate its lifespan (heat) so that it drops off and tries to reproduce (at which point the salt kills it). Medications for ich should work also but follow the directions for scale-less fish (think it is usually half-dose).

BTW, with the GSP you had. In my experience the turning black and refusing to eat/swim/generally anything, isn't ich. It seems to be an internal parasite. That is sort of the problem of puffers, they are very tough so when they finally show symptoms they are often so sick that recovery is difficult.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Do not use any copper based meds with puffers (or any other scaleless fish). Use Maracide if you can get it, or RidIch. Use a half dose, as puffers are very sensitive to these medications, but follow the other instructions it comes with. Continue to raise salinity slowly if possible. Also raise temperature to around 28C / 82F. Don't go much if any higher than this.

Test your water parameters. Is this a fully cycled tank?

swarm O gobys

AC Members
May 5, 2011
ok i turned the heater up and bought some Kordon Ich Attack now its time to just wait and see. hope he gets better

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
You didn't answer -- was this tank well established before you got the figure 8? Puffers really need a fully cycled tank... if it's not fully cycled you need to be doing regular, substantial water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store