Tankmates for Electric Cat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
I just picked up this cooler-than-cool addition today:

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/malapterurus_electricus.htm

Currently it's the size of about 1/3 of a hotdog - maybe 3" long and 3/4" in diameter at its thickest part. I know it's a predatory cat, obviously, and gets large, but for the most part, I'm not concerned with that. There are some tetras in the tank, but honestly they're pretty old anyway and starting to die of natural causes, so if they get picked off by the cat, I won't be too bummed. I just hope I get to see it.

My main concern is my 2 adult angelfish also in the tank. I know the cat is too small now to eat them, but will it still try? I have read the catfish generally only reaches sizes of max 12" in home aquaria. I can move the angels if it's in their best interest, but my preference would be to have SOMETHING in with this catfish.

Tank is a 40 breeder, FYI.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Whatever you put in the tank, don't put a mirror in. Electric Catfish are so ugly it might commit suicide if it gets a good look at itself!

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Not sure. I'd sat a 40B is absolute minimum tank size for something that's going to hit a foot long eventually... and at some point it will probably eat just about anything you put in there. As for now? Not sure, no first hand experience with these guys. Best of luck.

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, I will be getting a bigger thank in the next 3 months or so, so size won't be an issue then. The 40B will hold it fine for a while. I'm hoping in that time I can get it trained to eat frozen/live foods that are NOT fish so the angels will be safe.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
first thing, did you read the site that you linked us? there electric catfish..... they can and will kill a human at full grown size.... there not good with tankmates either, and a 40B is to small, try to go for a 75 at min... good luck with the catfish.

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, hi, thanks. Yes, I did read it. But I have also read conflicting information - some accounts have them good with larger fish, some say they're strictly solitary.

And did YOU read what *I* just said? Bigger tank. 3 months. People keep ones the size I have in 10 gallons for starters.

I was involved in study of electric eels in school. Hence, my interest in this fish. Since I'm typing to you, none of the eels ever killed me. I think we're good.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
make sure you are grounded when you do maint. I worked in a LFS that had an electric eel ( which is actually closer to a knife fish than an eel) and I got shocked a couple times. Not fun

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Oh, yeah, definitely. We had one eel that was overly excitable, and he jolted me a few times. Felt my heart throw a PVC once when it happened. Not cool. All plastic implements, rubber soled shoes for this kid.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I put my hand into a bucket full of 3" Electric Cats and gave them a good stir. Not as bad as getting hit with 120V from a household outlet, but it got my attention. The problem isn't that the Catfish will ever be able to eat the Angels, assuming they have some size on them now. The problem will be keeping the Angels in the tank if the Catfish discharges, or the injuries they'll sustain trying to jump out.

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
The angels are full grown - bodies the size of the palm of an average adult's hand. I talked to the guy at the LFS for a long time before getting the E cat, and he says he's kept one with a pair of severums no problem, and another with he had to toss in his koi pond for a while (long story) and nothing ever happened.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store