Awesome Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Looking for an interesting catfish for my 55gal tank...

I really like the look of the pictus catfish, but I was wondering if their are any similar looking species that are known the breed in the home aquarium. I would like to stay away from plecos and cory cats....

Preferably a catfish that will tolerate warmer waters and is an active swimmer

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I have to say pictus is your best choice. I had one for a little while (just over 24 hours, then my turtle got him) and it was super entertaining. It was always swimming around in search of food.

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Yeah I am really leaning towards the pictus, but I would like the challenge of breeding a catfish down the road and the pictus is not really known the breed in captivity...

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Bumblebee catfish have been bred in aquariums, but they're strictly nocturnal amd invisible by day. Synodontis petricola or lucipinnis would work. They're actually quite adaptable to different water conditions, but wouldn't appreciate a pH lower than 7.0.

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Hey yeah I was looking into the Synodontis, and am going to check out whats available to me this weekend...bumblebee cats are cool, but as you mentioned are not very active and thats really what I am looking for....

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
You can usually find small juvie Synodontis petricola on aquabid for a reasonable price. They're social fish, more active/visible in groups. Not exactly easy to breed, but quite possible.

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Hoplos would be another idea. :) Mine take food from my hand.

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Wow see now thats what I am looking for, Hoplos look pretty interesting...

Haha but now that you have me interested I wont be able to find any...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store