Eheim 2229 questions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Im looking at buying a used 2229 eheim on cl. I guess it was only used for about 6 months on a salt water tank and the filter is about two years old. Ive read a lot of good review about it but its been discontinued. I guess there is very little in the way of mechanical filtration but i also have an xp4 on my 55 so that should be covered.
I plan on upgrading to a larger tank later, so would this filter benefit me?

Also i could get another xp4 for the same price, if im not able to talk the seller down

Last edited:

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Eheim filters are mostly mechanical filtration using media with huge surface area for biologic filtration so you get the best of both.
The 2229 was designed for wave action and filtration. That might not be suitable in a planted tank, but...

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
the 2229 is a wet/dry filter and it works well. They tend to be a little louder.. Depending on the price, you could have a great little filter

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I guess the wave action stuff can be removed. It will be going on my cichlid tank but I would rather not have it raise and lower the water level lol. They're asking 175 for it, considering it was 400 some new, seems pretty reasonable for 6 months of use. Thoughts?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Ill do that, probably going to be a PITA to clean, but they said it was running up until a few weeks ago.

Fshfanatic, do you have any experience with this particular filter? Or anyone else?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Anyone else have any input? I'm going to make an offer soon...

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I have never owned on personally, but I have owned numerous Eheims. If it performs like the rest of them you shouldnt have an issue.. I would but it if the price is right.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I've got the 2229 filter running on a planted cichlid tank and I've had no major issues with mine. It doesn't raise & lower the water level enough to really matter. It is just as quiet as my other Eheim canisters.

Obviously there are more things that can go wrong with this model because there are more pieces/parts. I run mine strictly bio media on a 75G tank. The only problem you might run into is if running the filter on a taller tank. There is a definite height restriction from bottom of filter to rim of tank. Also, the hoses should be of equal length to eliminate problems with the wet/dry cycle.

BTW, I bought mine new in 2004 for $250.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store