Exposed Wood Fungus help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shalmainia

AC Members
May 27, 2011
England
Real Name
Tobias
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I didn't know whether to put it in Brackish or here, I figured here because people may have more experience? If it needs to be moved, that's fine with me.

I have a 2'x1'x1' lidded 25/75 brackish tank, substrate is calcium sand and gravel. Low lighting due to the lack of brackish plants at the moment, temperature at 30c / 86f but can be lowered.

I have noticed white and light blue fungus growing on one of the pieces of drift wood within my tank, only on the parts exposed to air. I've tried washing and scrubbing the wood but it doesn't seem to keep it away. Have also tried putting extra marine salt on the affected area, lastly I even tried a few drops of eSHa 2000 on the fungus but to no avail.

Will this be harmful to my Mudskipper?

Is there any way I can permanently remove the unsightly fungus?

Thanks

DSCF0177.JPG
DSCF0176.JPG

DSCF0177.JPG DSCF0176.JPG

Last edited:

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
My snails love it. Do you have nerites in with him?

Shalmainia

AC Members
May 27, 2011
England
Real Name
Tobias
No I don't currently have the funds to add anything to his tank but I will at some point. I had to Google nerites, do you know anywhere that sells them and distributes them to or around the UK as my local doesn't supply any clean-up crews. I do get the feeling however that Elvis will probably enjoy them as snacks.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Is Elvis an African? Mine seem like they can't see underwater. They don't even try to eat anything that falls off their dinner rock. What do you feed him normally?

Shalmainia

AC Members
May 27, 2011
England
Real Name
Tobias
I've been finding it difficult to find much information about him, all I know is that my local where I bought him kept multiple species in one tank, which I told him off for but can't really blame him, there's not alot of study on them that I can find. So yeah basically, I have absolutely no idea which species he is.

I buy bloodworm bags, freeze them at home and cut about an inch slice to feed him per day, they're opportunistic omnivores so they'll eat flake, small crickets, blood worm, flies and possibly meal worm. I've read that over feeding skippers can lead to health problems but since I don't have any data on how much I need to feed him, I'm going by that my local feeds a tank full of skippers a bag a day.

He won't touch food that I've fed him on land, prefers it in the water much to the dismay of my water quality. lol

Shalmainia

AC Members
May 27, 2011
England
Real Name
Tobias
Had the same on my driftwood, but my pleco went to town on it as soon as I put him in the tank, and I haven't seen since.
I don't really have that ability because it's a species only tank. I'll just have to get myself a clean-up crew that Elvis won't eat. :S

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store