synodontis questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
i just bought 6 small syno zebra hybrids, and i was told that although they are commonly sold in high pH water (african type) that they are perfectly capable of living healthy lives in lower pH. i put them in my south/central american cichlid tank (pH is 7.0) and they seem to be thriving, however recently i noticed that one or two of them have white dots (i assume ich) on them.

1. are synos ok in lower pH? what is there pH ideal zone?

2. how shuld i remedy this Ich problem

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Adding more fish with ich to your overstocked cichlid tank? what could go wrong....

And above is best advice for ich

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
rneis, im gonna ask that u stop posting on my threads with ur snide remarks. they didnt have ich when i bought them, they got it after being in my tank for a few days.

so honestly, if the advice was already given, and ur remark was unwarranted, what was the point of even saying sumthing?

Last edited by a moderator:

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
synos will be fine in that PH, definitely upping the temp will help with the ich problem. I'm pretty sure that salt might not be the greatest thing for synos, but if the ick intensifies (which it probobly will) then I'd use AQUARIUM (not marine, huge difference) salt.

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
well i always keep aquarium salt in the tank at as much (if not a little bit more) than the API label says to use. my tank has been at about 80 maybe 81, is 83 cool? what temp do u think i shuld bring it to? shuld i add more aquarium salt?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
86 degrees and 1tsp/gallon.

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
is that the same as a table spoon per 5 gallons? cuz if so, then thats already in there (plus more possibly)

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
no it's not the same, tsp = teaspoon, tbsp = tablespoon. There are 3 tsp in a tablespoon, so you need to add an extra 2 tsp per 5 gallons.

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
should i leave it like that forever? i have a gsp that i like to keep in as much salt as possible (i knw, its not real brackish). i also have a firemouth bleekeri green terror two jewel cichlids a texas and jaguar cichlid. oh and standard pleco, hi fin spotted, and butterfly pleco. thanks for helpin btw

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store