Housing my featherfin catfish- compatibility- urgent

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
I have an adult featherfin, and have to move him out of the 303litre tank tomorrow, where he has always lived with a green terror. Where can I put him until I can sell him? I have other tanks. I have an angle fish and tetra large tank, with clown loaches, but tetras some of them will be bite size. Then I have a 6ft tank with lake malwai cichlids. They are quite large, electric yellows, peacocks, electric blues, ocelliferi catfish x 2, 2fuellebornis, 2 zebras, and 2 little babies hiding in the rocks. Little troopers :) Thinking ph is too high for catfish. Or I can place him into a small tank for an emergency, it is 610mm x 250mm x 310. I know its small, so trying to match him to another tank.

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
also have another 303 litre tank with 4 angels, and 4 goya river rainbow fish, have to put the adult green terror in there, so have a divider to go in, thinking its gonna be too cramped.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
What is the pH of the tank?

Most Synodontis species do very well with African cichlids, and are usually the mostly highly recommended catfish to share space with them. I have an ocellifer that's doing very well in my mbuna tank with hard water, 8.2 pH, and rift lake salts.

As for the euptera though, there seems to be conflicting info on the pH range. The minimum starting around 6, and the max ranging from 7.5 - 8.2. My euptera has never been in with my mbuna, so I can't say how well he'd tolerate the upper end of that range.

Last edited:

NoMoreToys

AC Members
Mar 24, 2011
I have an adult also. Its in with the community fish. very shy! I would suggest a good hide for him to stake claim, maybe one that does not currently exist.

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Hi,
The ph is 7.4 where he lives, and he has his own house he hardly ever comes out, dont know if its because of the 8 inch green terror.
I can place him in this tank with has the same PH and contains 4 rainbow fish and 4 angelfish, the green terror also has to go in here, with a partition made especially. its gonna be hell crowded!
angelstank.jpgDSC00784.JPG

Then there is this tank with all the lake malawis but the ph is higher at 8.4 he would be best suited to this tank but has been living in softer lower ph water for a long time. so hows the best way to adjust him?
DSC02445.JPGDSC01509.JPGDSC02450.JPG

The third option is the 5ft tank which has more room for him, but will he eat the harlequins? soft water low ph.
5ftb.jpg5ft.jpg

fourth option, take him to the petstore and sell him...if they will take him.
He is quite big.
catfish.jpg

DSC02445.JPG angelstank.jpg DSC00784.JPG DSC01509.JPG DSC02450.JPG 5ftb.jpg 5ft.jpg catfish.jpg

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Wow, that's one...um, healthy specimen :D He might need to slim down a bit, truthfully. I don't feed mine every day, maybe every other day at most, and much of the time he gets veggies. Seaweed (roasted nori, made for sushi) and veggies help keep him trim, he loves grazing on zucchini! Pellet foods are just too rich, IMO to be fed more than a few times a week.

I definitely vote for the 5 foot tank. Neon sized fish might get eaten, but harlies will definitely be ok. I have mine in a 55 gallon with 2 Florida flagfish, 6 young lemon tetras, 6 harlequin rasboras, 4 bleeding heart tetras and 3 kribensis and he has never nibbled or bitten any of these fish. They are quite peaceful, I just won't trust them not to eat shrimp or very small fish about 1" or so. Looks like yours gets plenty to eat anyhow ;)

One question - where do you find such amazing driftwood? It's absolutely stunning!

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Really, he is fat?
I never ever see him eat, he lives with a adult green terror, and he eats everything I put in the tank, thought the catfish would starve!!!
Driftwood from dams, and rivers around where i live.
thanks for the advice, He would have the most room in the 5ft tank with angels, tetras etc. :)

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I don't know if he's really all that fat. Euptera tend to be thicker than other synos. Mine is just about the same size, and only gets fed (food of it's own) every couple to few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store