Research

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
So I've been looking around trying to see what species can be put in together without worrying about too much aggression or other issues but I can't seem to find the date. I've found a few pages that go into extreme detail about every strain of every species but it would be too much to go through. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could go to start learning about cichlids.

This isn't my first tank. I've had at least one tank running for about 5-6 years now. I have a 230 gallon SW tank and the 120 in my sig (has 3 ruby red peacocks, 3 yellow blaze lithobates, a bristlenose, and a red tail shark) so I'm not asking for a full run down on the hobby just where I can see what fish are compatible with the few I house now. If I have to I can get rehome the RTS and the bristlenose plec.

Thanks for the help

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Probably any fish you have already can stay regardless of what you get but if you added those into a tank with mbunas or haps already there they'd all wind up dead. You can almost always add in a tougher fish with no problems, peacocks are chasers so are much wimpier than mbunas or haps.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I don't see a 120g listed in your sig. I see a 125g planted community though. Did you mean that one?

As far as fish that should do well with the fish you have, I'd stick with peacocks and haps. Most mbuna are too aggressive to be with peacocks ime. I haven't had problems mixing peacocks and haps though.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
As far as fish that should do well with the fish you have, I'd stick with peacocks and haps. Most mbuna are too aggressive to be with peacocks ime. I haven't had problems mixing peacocks and haps though.
I agree with Labby. Just choose peacocks and haps of a different coloration to the ones you already have; just to avoid aggression issues. If you want to try mbunas, yellow labs (L. caeruleus) are your best bet IMO; and maybe the only mbuna species I would mix with peacocks and haps.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
You may already be aware of this feature, but this site allows you to search fish profiles from its database:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/

CF was the first site I used when learning about cichlids. I've always enjoyed reading the articles on this site:
http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/default.php

I don't know much about haps or peacocks, having never kept any cichlids besides mbuna. If you ever want to do one of those rocky mbuna tanks, dwarf mbuna can be kept in smaller tanks - 40 breeders and up. Mary Bailey (who has some great books, also) wrote this article which I liked a lot:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/DwarfMbunaArtMaryB.htm

Kalen

AC Members
May 28, 2010
Eastern Kentucky
Real Name
Kalen
If you don't want to go with Haps then Yellow Labs, Psuedotropheus Acei, and Iodotropheus Sprengerae (Rusty Cichlid) could all be kept with Peacocks as well.

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
My yellow labs go after fry like crazy. They are not very in your face but they go for the kill more than anything else I have, they look nice but I am trying to get rid of them all. rusties are safe, though they will nip like crazy. If there's several type of mbuna and some cover eventually the peacocks will just school around the topwater and get ignored.

2004jetta

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Great info guys, thanks for the help.

Platytudes: the database you linked is the one I was actually mentioning. I've been lurking over on CF also. It's just hard to figure which fish go well with each other.

Labrat: that is the exact info I was looking for and yes its the 125 in my sig. It not sits plantless with no decor awaiting rocks next week hopefully.

I'll narrow my search for haps and peacocks, thanks guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store