A" Victorian" Vivarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

keepsake

"Keep your pointy end to the wind."
Jun 3, 2011
wisconsin
I built this twenty years ago based on an etching in one of my son's insect books. It was made using mostly salvaged materials and including the pump cost about $100. The wood is mahogany and I carved the legs myself. When I last had it running, I used an under-gravel filter system plumbed through the floor with an external sealed filter (homemade) and pump which were housed in a box attached to the underside of the epoxy coated ply-wood floor. The water retuned to the tank through the middle of the floor and an inverted drilled-out tree stump/root, which provided a land area for critters and plants in addtion to a very nice waterfall. Over the years I've had just about everything in it including fish, frogs, crayfish, water snakes, turtles, dragonflys and salamanders- I even considered bats. All were species native to my local area. Lately it has been a glorified terrarium. So, I'd like to modify the filter system to something a bit more modern/efficient and keep it through the floor. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep things as hidden as possible.

P5200511.JPG P5200509.JPG P5200513.JPG

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
No idea regarding the filter situation but that really is lovely, I hope you keep us updated with plenty of pictures!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
What did you have in mind?? Paludarium,,Vivarium riparium? Would assume it couldn't be aquarium with water due to the weight??
My most ambitious was a 75 with a plexi addition on top so it served as paludarium with canopy garden for epiphytes. Ended up being 6 feet tall so was difficult to light down into the water. have since returned it to a regular 75 gallon aquarium due to the high maintenence.
The main limitation in my experience is the LIGHT lol gary

keepsake

Jun 3, 2011
wisconsin
Thanks,I guess I'm thinking paludarium/vivarium and using an inverted tree root as a land area and waterfall again. We don't have a "one size fits all" type of set-up? I'd like to keep things as flexible as possible. The glass is only 1/4" thick and was salvaged from an old picture window so I've never filled it to the top- halfway it holds about 40 gallons. Lighting is an issue, particularly for submerged plants. I need to make a new top, the old one was just basically a box and was'nt very attractive. I'm thinking I'll go vertical about 4" with a mahogany box, pierced with some type of pattern, and screened over on the inside to allow for air circulation and prevent anything from escaping. On top of that I thought a "pagoda" type roof made out of some salvaged sheet copper I have would look nice- that puts the lighting quite a distance away from the water.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
this is going to be a very nice project, I can already tell.

Your stocking really depends on your imagination and vision for the tank, are you looking for a small waterfall and pool or a pond with a small riverbank kind of feel? A sketch (MS paint works awesome) would be great!

keepsake

Jun 3, 2011
wisconsin
This is the root I've selected. It needs a bit of trimming but I already drilled it out. There do appear to be places where a pond could be formed and then fall or flow into the main tank. The original stump formed more of a river/falls. I plan on filling the tank up about halfway. I think this is a cedar root.

P6030006.JPG P6030002.JPG P6030003.JPG

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Stunning wardian case! I would just do a simple terrarium showing off some of the more delicate ferns and mosses. Really awesome work. I'm totally jealous.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
As the tank is already drilled then you should be able to fit pretty much any modern canister filter to it, although a couple of extra check valves might be useful in the lines. Then return line from the filter goes to your waterfall.

Cool looking tank.

Ian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store