Miracle-gro --> algae question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Hi all,

I'm setting up a 20long for Sewellia and Stiphodon Percs or Elegans. I would like a lot of algae, and I don't particularly care about the aesthetics of it (at the beginning, anyway. I'll work with it once it's established). I won't have any plants except some mosses for fry-food populations and a couple of big Anubias (since algae grows well on their leaves).

I've read that miracle-gro (the ubiquitous blue powder) is fine for aquariums, but causes algae blooms. Since this is what I want, can I add some to the tank during cycling? And if so, how do I go about dosing?

BTW, I have 40W, plus a decent amount of window light.

(I'll do a build thread this weekend, if anyone is interested)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I used Miracle-gro indoor plant feed (liquid). I add about 2 drops per gallon3 times a week with mediocre lighting and afternoon sun and got good results including algae. I was able to shape the algae to look like smoke coming from a castle tower. I still use it but at a rate of 1 drop per gallon, 3 times a week and my plants seem to like it. I have better lighting and no direct sunlight and no algae. I think the sunlight was the key ingredient. You could tell when I added the miracle gorw as you would see a burst of new growth when I used it irregularly. It is listed as 8-7-6 so you should be able to sustain algae with it.

NoMoreToys

AC Members
Mar 24, 2011
Is this comparable to Excel Flourish???

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
No. Flourish Excel isn't a fertilizer. It is a source of organic carbon/CO2 alternative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store