HappyPoet's 20 long Hillstream tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
I'm working on a 20 long that will house:
Definitely: 4-5 Sewellia lineolata
Probably: 3-4 Pseudogastromyzon cheni OR 4-5 Stiphodon Percnopterygionus

Ideally, I'd like to raise fry of the loaches (and the Stiphodon, but that ain't gonna happen!) The Cheni might eat eggs of the Sewellia, so if that looks likely with more reseach, I'll skip them. I LOVE the Stiphodons, but I have some hesitations about getting wild caught fish that cannot be bred in captivity. I haven't made up my mind yet. Alternatively, I'd love some Rhinogobius, which would do well in this set-up, but they'd almost certainly hunt any Sewellia fry.

I have an Emperor 280 at one end of the tank blowing water left to right across the top.
I have a 90gph powerhead hidden in a ceramic stone on the other end of the tank, helping to return the water in a somewhat focused manner to the Emperor's intake. Watching particles in the water, I have a decent little stream in there. It's not as good as if I did a full-on rivertank manifold, but this was done with things I already had on hand, and I think it will be sufficient.
I'm also planning on lifting the Emperor up about an inch to increase the waterfall effect in order to increase oxygenation.

The substrate is sand, and I have a number of polished river stones and several other larger rocks with flat surfaces that I found. I have two Anubias and a bit of moss, but no other plants, as I am working to grow algae during the cycling process. I fertilized with Schultz 10-15-10 plant food to make Phosphates available for the algae, but I will likely stop using it once I stock the tank.

The tank is unheated for now. It tops out around 77 with my house's AC on, but I'll stick a heater in over the winter to keep it at 68-70 (we let the house get down to 62).

Since the Emperor is on the end of the tank, I can't use a regular hood. I bought a versa-top, which is being custom cut for me at the local glazier. It hasn't arrived yet.
Also, I cut some lengths out of the glass lens of an old hood to create 2 braces across the tank, since the hood won't be able to rest on the end of the tank naturally.

Lighting is two 20W T8's. They're a bit too long for the tank with the Emperor in the way, but I'm using reflective duct tape on the ends to keep light from bleeding out of the ends.

Here are some (crummy) pics:
The white "rock" behind the larger Anubias houses the little powerhead.

I'm not a fan of the middle rock aesthetically, but it will provide a really nice flat surface for algae grazing.

The glass braces:

One more FTS. Sorry for the poor-quality! The floating leaves are gifts from the LFS. They have various algaes on them, so I'm seeding with them.:

I'll post some more pics after the algae grows in!

Last edited:

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Looking good, dude! If you're thinking either the cheni or the sewellia, I'd go cheni 100% Gotta love their tricolor dorsal fins. Don't think of the stiphs as wild caught fish that won't breed in captivity. Think of them as fish that might end up in wildly inappropriate setups because of their reputation as great algae eaters. They're already in captivity. At least you have the proper setup for them.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I really like it! I feel like it's the yin (lighter side) to Mellowvision's breathtaking 30 gallon hillstream tank, which is much darker (I'm sure you've seen it...or I would link it for you :))

Have you considered perhaps a smattering of small rounded gravel over the white sand? I always like to add a little handful here and there, just for contrast.

From what I gather, it's awfully difficult to grow good algae - brown algae and green water, less so :eek:

I hope your fertilizer will do the job. Have you used any water from your old aquariums in your new tank? I know this is a little risky, but I always feel confident taking water from my 10 gallon invert tanks (three 10g tanks now dedicated to cherry shrimp...prolific little buggers, lol) and I feel like that really kick starts the algae. I believe there are lots of algae spores in the water column...not so sure about beneficial bacteria. That seems primarily to be in the filter media. I usually use old filter media in the new tanks. I mostly use open cell pore sponges, so I just swap out a dirty one for a clean one!

I try to remind myself to savor the moment when the tank is crystal clear and sparkly white like that. It looks seasoned - a bit too much so, truthfully - soon enough ;)

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Whenever I look at the pic I can't believe that's only a 20! Looks a lot bigger to me for some reason. And I can't wait to see it when it's all done! You have a good thing going

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Heh. Good thinking, Platy. Yeah, I might grab some of the natural pebbles in my shrimp tank to scatter around. That would cover both of those bases! It'd be the lighter-side of mellow's except I'm not 1/100th the Scaper that he is.
We'll see what happens with the algae experiment! I don't mind winging it for now since I don't have it stocked yet.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice looking set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store