First saltwater tank! (fish caught from local beach)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
[video=youtube;gh3DpS-YO8A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh3DpS-YO8A[/video]
well, ive done fish for two years now. this is my first salt tank and IMO, i started with a cool project.
since a kid i always loved sifting through seaweed to see what i could find, recently i got it down to a science, and decided that id start my first salt tank with only things i could get from the beach (maybe ill make certain acceptions) i live in south florida btw, i go to deerfield beach and red reef park (this place has the coolest stuff uve ever seenin wildlife)

so, ive got a ten gallon tank, a 30 gal aqua clear, a piece of junk heater that is set to only go to 78 (weak sauce) and a little deep-blue t5ho light on it.

i got the water, the sand, the rocks, the seaweed, and the livestock all from local waters
ive caught what i was told is an "angler frogfish". ive looked it up, and it seems that the one i caught is called a "sargassum fish" but idk i cant be certain. i got him from the seaweed that he blends in with too well (i can never seem him!) i also got some crabs and shrimp from the seaweed that blend with it just as well as the "frogfish".
i also caught these jumpy silver fellas, at red reef park. they were coming up to the very tip of where the waves come up on the sand, so i scooped them on their slope back into the water.
this tank has been running for only 3 or 4 days. i put an extra bio bag in the filter, and used some store bought bacteria for salt tanks.

QUESTIONS!
1. what kind of fish did i get? and the crabs? possible id on the shrimp?
2. any tips on salt tanks? ive never done one and im not sure what to focus on.
GIVE ME ANY ADVICE! thank you!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Not 100% sure on the fish, but you seem to be in the right ballpark at least on the Frogfish. That group tends to be fish-eaters so you may have issues with keeping tankmates as it gets older. May get too big for your tanks.

The silver fish look to be small Permit or Pompano (or possibly one of the 2-3 other similarly shaped species around here). Gonna get a bit too big for your tanks probably.

The crab...if you caught it off the shore, most likely a Stone Crab. Typically people try to remove them. They get rather large and can eat fish. Be careful with crabs. You'll most likely find young Stone Crab, Mud Crabs, and Blue Crab if you hunt along the shore. None of those are really safe for the aquarium, and in the case of the Blue Crab for the aquarium owner.

Didn't notice where the shrimp was in the video. There are all kinds though in those waters. Pistol Shrimp are common under the rocks. Ghost Shrimp are common just about everywhere. And there are various types of prawns, including one that is basically the staple bait-shrimp for the shops.

Oh and be careful what you remove. There are quite a bit of restrictions on what you can take so pulling stuff out without knowing what it is first can get you in a bit of trouble.

Last edited:

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
if the crab and shrimps came in on the sargassum (the floating macro you have in there) i'd be willing to bet money they are what is commonly referred to as "sargassum shrimp/crabs" which inhabit the dense floating mats. regardless, I would return the crab into the ocean, as it is likely to be a fish-eating species regardless.

the frogfish/angler is what is most commonly called a sargassum angler/fish (Histrio histrio). an exceptionally cool fish who will hide in the sargassum mats and catch/eat the small shrimp and fish that live there along with it. it will eventually outgrow the 10, they get a good 6" at least, and will probably eat all of its tankmates in the near future. they dont grow hudegly fast, and it looks to be very tiny, but an upgrade would surely need to be in its future. an adult would probably be okay in a standard 29, and a semi-adult in a 20 long, since they arent exactly active swimmers. tankmates would probably be a bad idea, as like all other anglers it will eat anything that will fit in its mouth and some things that wont. get it feeding on frozen ASAP if you plan to keep it, and be very careful about overfeeding as this is one of the leading causes of death in anglers.

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
wow thank u guys for the tips, very very helpful. im kinda sad now because i feel as though this project wont last very long, however, in the event that everythign dies, i get to start that lil nano reef tank i always wanted (Stimpy-joy face). for now, ive been feeding cyclop-eez or w.e that is, and mysis shrimp, as well as spectrum pelets. no luck with the pellets though, but im sure the shrimps and a crabs are eating them as they drift to the floor. i can NEVER catch my angler eating! i definitly had at least 25 shrimp of varying sizes to begin with, but i rarely see the small ones anymore (i assume because either A: they are hiding in the sargassum, or B: they are eaten already) im going to continue to catch things from the beach, and most certainly as many little shrimp as i can (they make for a great snack for my cichlids as well, they LOVE them)

my goals for the future are to isolate my puffer for a little while in a seperate 29 gallon and slowly acclimate him to brackish, from there i will let him rest in the brackish for say a month or two to let him get used to heavier salt, and then ill start moving towards full marine... then ill possibly move w.e i have in my little marine tank into the bigger one. but who knows just a bunch of ideas floating in my head. im sad to ehar that the angler is so agressive, and that these crabs are a threat, and that the silver guys might get too big! hopefully ill catch something and youll all tell me "oh yah it stays small, non agressive, easy to feed, and works well with everything!"

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
ALSOOOO for a little description of these tiny silver fellas i got, they seem to have red eyes and a red trim on their anal and dorsal fins. im not sure what their tru color is because at times they are all silver, and other times, their back-halves turn slightly black, im not sure if this is a stress signal or not, i cant tell with these guys because they are so **** small and NEVER stop moving. so active..

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah seems like they won't last long. You can probably stock what, maybe 1/5 the saltwater fish than freshwater gallon for gallon without tons of equipment. Plus most of them are so frail, though the ones you have should be resilient. But reefs are cool, I really want to get that going some day.

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
whats a skimmer?

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name