Corydoras catfish laid eggs - PLEASE help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
Hi everyone,
I have had my Green Lazer Cory for almost four years, and my peppered cory for almost three. They have become best friends. Haven't been able to sex them, but tonight I found two little clusters of eggs on the wall. I am very proud and thrilled to be a grandmother, but I have about a zillion questions. (Actually, about four.)

1) I heard that cory cats eat their eggs if not separated. Will the eggs still be there after I sleep for about 8 hours, or should something be done right now? (I don't know when exactly they are laid, so I don't know if they are hard enough to be moved. I don't have another tank to move my cats to ATM.)
2) Should I change anything about the water? The tank walls have quite a bit of algae that I was actually going to attend to tomorrow, along with a hearty PWC, but now I am afraid to touch anything about the walls or the water.
3) Are the eggs even...I don't know the word, hatchable? If so, they would be an odd mix of cory, right? Some species of animals simply cannot produce viable offspring with each other, and I have zero experience with fish breeding
4) Lastly, (BIG CONTEMPLATIVE QUESTION) Should I just let the cats eat the eggs, or are there people on AC who would possibly be so kind as to adopt them? (Thinking a little ahead into the future here.) I do not have sponge filters or breeding nets or java moss or any equipment that I would need to raise fry, so it may be better off for them not to hatch anyway...

Thank you so much. I am all in a tizzy.
Pictures later if possible!!

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
This morning I found a few more that had been carried up to the filter pad and gently removed them. A couple aren't in very good shape, but other than the bit of grunge on the rest, they still look okay. As of this post last night, I had carefully transferred the eggs from the wall to a small floating breeder box meant for guppies. If you guys think these fry have a good chance of surviving, seeing as I don't have about 100-200, I think I should be able to find homes for them from AC, so I may run out and get some microworms, daphnia, and/or liquid fry food.

Thank you for anything you can tell me!

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Nice pics!! Congrats. There is a chance that the corys(or other fish)will eat them. My corys eat them sometimes but I have had 11 hatch and survive with no special care from me. Good luck and keep us posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store