A couple of newbie questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
The search feature didn't seem to be functioning so please bare with me.

First question is, will any of the beneficial bacteria in the media of a filter that has been used on a fresh water tank survive if I start using it in a brackish tank?

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?125699-Brackish-Tank-Setup-Written-by-Sploke

According to this, adding live sand is pointless and you can have die offs, but I was wondering, wouldn't some of the live stuff survive and multiply in a brackish tank?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes, and then...No. Different strain of bacteria live in FW than in SW. In brackish, it depends on 'how brackish' which strain you have.

Are you talking about the bagged stuff? Most of it sits there for months and months--there isn't much 'live' about them. From a 'live' source...maybe, but most likely, no. Not many animals thrive in the brackish zone full time, and many things can only multiple in one or the other, not brackish. Eggs and sperm are WAY more sensitive than carapace and scale.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Are you talking about the bagged stuff?
No, I was just thinking about getting a pound or two from some one with a tank or from a lfs.

Yes, and then...No. Different strain of bacteria live in FW than in SW. In brackish, it depends on 'how brackish' which strain you have.
I guess it doesn't make sense then to seed my filter with squeezings from a SW tank. I really doubt I can find anyone with a brackish tank. I hope the crab can hold on.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I do have a test kit and use it. Is varying levels of salinity okay when I'm doing changes? I don't have enough Oceanic right now to keep a constant measure or a dealy to measure it with yet. It's on order.

I know I sound like a bad fish owner getting livestock before this tank was cycled but it's only for a blue crab that I bought at a grocery store..

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Wide variations aren't great, no. And, since you lack a hydrometer, you can't really know what the SG is in the tank, since it's going to increase from evaporation.

I read about getting it. Try to put this in perspective--you bought it with the intent of keeping it as a pet. That is 'only' came from a grocery store doesn't change your responsibility to it, in my eyes.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Here is the things about bacteria. It isn't a single species with a specific range that sets up the bb colony. It is a whole bunch of different types. Some can handle higher/lower salt levels, some can't. If you shock them with a drastic change then most, if not all, will die. If you shock them with a small change, the ones that can't adapt will die and be replaced by the ones that can adapt.

Whether simply dumping it in will work, that'll depend on how 'brackish' your water is. Saltwater to high-end brackish is possible, although there will be die-off. Saltwater to low-end brackish would be pushing it, while freshwater to low-end brackish would be possible. I'd expect the freshwater bacteria though to be less adaptable to change, since salinity changes arn't common in a freshwater tank.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I read about getting it. Try to put this in perspective--you bought it with the intent of keeping it as a pet. That is 'only' came from a grocery store doesn't change your responsibility to it, in my eyes.
The fact that I did a water change already, have a hygrometer and more Oceanic on order, and am going to a LFS today to get brackish tank filter squeezings to seed my filter shows my level of responsibility to it.

I know I sound like a bad fish owner getting livestock before this tank was cycled but it's only for a blue crab that I bought at a grocery store..
What this meant is that I wasn't planning on getting it, it was spur of the moment and I couldn't have known to have a cycled tank ready for it. Now if I was buying a crab from a LFS... I wouldn't have brought it home unless I had everything ready, they could always hold one for me and it most likely isn't going to end up in someone's pot if I don't get it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store