Silicone & Coco fiber question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Hey guys!
I haven't been on in a long time but now that it's summer (or feels like it :eek:) I'm looking into re-vamping my viv. I am not planning anything too drastic as far as structure but I do want to make it look more natural than it currently does. I have some non-toxic, fish-safe spray foam that is meant to seal pond filters and waterfalls for a texured background (both above and below water) and I think it will work but just one problem. The foam is pure black and I don't really want that so I was wondering how to cover it. I am partial to using the silicone & coco fiber meathod but I cant find aquarium safe silicone in any container larger than a few ounces. Do you think that the 2.8 oz DAP Aquarium Sealant is enough to cover around 600 square inches? I guess I could always buy a second or a third bottle but im trying to keep the cost as low as possible. So then another question comes to mind: How do you guys find that this meathod holds up over time? I've heard mixed reviews.

Thanks for any help!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
That seems perfect. Thank you for that!

Does anyone know how this holds up over time with coco fiber?

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I started a viv project a while back and it fell to the way side. It has been setting devoid of water for like a year or better and there has been no breakdown that I can see. I just sprayed great stuff on the back, let it dry, carved it to the shape I wanted, spread the silicone on and then dumped coco fiber over it and VOILA

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Alright that's what I plan to do. Thanks for the help!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
I've used acrylic latex paint both above and below water indoors and out . i used the regular low expanding "Great stuff". I found overtime anything adhereing to it will let go
though you can certainly use larger pieces of cork ,driftwood tree fern .rocks
I always use the Walmart silicone adhesive 3 compared to 6 bucks for GE.
Have never had a toxic issue in any setup including marine.
I would suggest that if you're going to use it in deeper water that you form ,carve and paint the deco. on a table top then either silicone to a rock or directly to the tank This allows you to paint the object all the way around as well as allowing better carving.
One bit of long term advice . Don't get too fancy with the paint job as it will be quickly covered with plants .. I tried imitating "malachite ' using 5 colors carefully applied and
6 months later you can't see it at all.lol
you can find small amounts of latex acrylic at walmart or craft stores. I find that it adheres as well as two part marine epoxy for about a third the cost. good luck with your project. gary

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store