What type of frozen fish food do you think colors up your fish the most?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Well, the first frozen food I ever tried was the hikari bloodworms and my fish loved them. I tried the hikari: tubifex worms, squid, and brineshrimp. They like the shrimp second to the bloodworms.(so do I, didn't like the tubifex worms, didn't seem clean and the squid was annoying to feed because it didn't sink) I would like to try the hikari mysis shrimp, but I haven't seen it in awhile.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
try some of the stuff that are brighter in colors or any kind of shrimp. how big are your fish you can feed them crickets and mealworms fed with carrots. hey devils fan. hikari has frozen squid? how big were the pieces? if it floats my arowana might like it.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Mysis shrimp are like brine shrimp only larger (probably about 2-3x).

I would suggest feeding Tetra colorbits. My fish love them and they have made a big difference in color. I was feeding frozen brine shrimp before this but noticed a way bigger difference when I added colorbits to their diet.

redpaulhus

AC Members
Apr 26, 2002
Boston, MA
It depends alot on what kind of fish you're feeding... small, large, aggressive, herbavores, etc...

IMO, standard frozen brine shrimp are pretty nutritionally barren.

But I like the spirulina enriched brine shrimp (spirulina is good for certain colors).
I also really like frozen plankton and frozen krill -- high levels of "red" color enhancers (Astaxanthin).
Mysids are great sources of HUFA, but allegedly are less good for color.

For big cichlids I like to use fresh or frozen shrimp from the grocery store.

For small fish my new favorite food is cyclops-eeze, it is loaded with Astaxanthin and smaller than adult brine shrimp. I feed it to my fw fish fry and to my reef tank. http://www.freezerbar.com/

You should be able to find it at a quality LFS...

I also like to feed frozen Formula One and Formula Two foods for good color...

JesseJ

You should be dancin'
Jan 22, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
I think I took the easy way out and got about 9 types of food. I usually put in small amounts of 4-5 different foods and let the fish eat what they want.

50 G.
Hikari Bloodworms
Hikari Brineshrimp
Hikari Algae Wafers
Tetramin Flakes
Tetra Colourbits
Wardley Sinking Crumbles
Wardley Shrimp Pellets
Nutrafin Floating Pellets

33 G
Hikari Bloodworms
Hikari Algae Wafers
Hikari Micro Pellets
Tetramin Flakes
Wardley Shrimp Pellets

The Bloodworms and the Colourbits are the most popular foods followed by the shrimp pellets and the flakes. My congo tetras only colour up when they get bloodworms every week, otherwise they go a kind of soft red.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store