Aquarium safe adhesives?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PunkMartyr

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
Stroudsburg, PA
Visit site
I'm doing an atlantis project and I wanted to know if any tapes are ok for the fish and aquarium. I'm going to try just silicone sealant and see if it works but if not strong, clear tape would be useful.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Silicone is holding my driftwood down just fine. Its holding my tank together just fine too :D . You might try epoxy if you don't think the silicone will do it. I think either of them is going to work better than any packing tape you can find.

This is that bowl I keep mentioning. Personally I think I'd go with the small. They're a chain, like Yankee Candle: I'd check with a couple malls in your general area. I thought you were originally thinking of roman-style columns to anchor? I saw the other day you were thinking of airline hose… personally, I think some roman ruins would be more Atlantean. That or some spindly driftwood.

BigOh

African Rift Lake or bust
Aug 28, 2001
NY, USA
www.african.uklinux.net
I've heard some people being skeptical of using just any silicone based on the fact that they may have mold inhibiting chemicals in them .... which may be harmful for the fish.

I went the safest way and ordered a 10oz. All-Glass aquarium sealant (the kind that fits in a caulking gun) from www.bigalsonline. It was like $4 or something like that.

PunkMartyr

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
Stroudsburg, PA
Visit site
I'm going to try a fishbowl first. I visited several cutlery and cookingware stores and could not find something that caught my attention and suited my ergonomic needs. That bowl is nice looking though I agree. I am throwing around several ideas, I do love the gargoyles and columns that are common in pet stores these days. My current idea is some sort of plant for the top of the globe that has branches that will droop over it, and look good with it. I am excited that there is a flat space on top of the fishbowl because my crayfish eats any plant matter in the tank, and this way I can attempt something she can't get at. She's smart though so I'm not totally convinced she won't find a way up there.

Today I spent a lot of time cleaning sand in a pillowcase. I've got 2 inches height all around.

I like the gargoyle holding the goblet over his head maybe I could get one of those and incorporate it into the display. I may be able to hide all of the tubing holding the globe to the sand and make it look tidy, that would rock.

Going to start messing with the silicone stuff now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store