Bloated Peppered Corydoras??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
I have a little peppered cory and he's spending a lot of time at the top of the tank and his tummy looks bloated, when he is swimming around he seems fine but he seems to have a hard time staying at the bottom of the tank.....an suggestions to what might be causing his issue? He is in a 10 gallon tank, Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 40 ppm. Thanks.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
The Nitrate is getting higher than you want. A water change is in order. Cory's can't tolerate nitrates as well as some other species.

As to the bloating, fast the tank a bit or switch to slightly mashed peas for a few days.

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
I do water 50% water changes and vaccuum the gravel every week in that tank, the nitrates are never lower than 40ppm, I don't know what else to do....unless my test kit is off....I noticed his belly is red, I'm thinking it may be dropsy.....I tried a medicated food for parasites but it didn't seem to help. I added a little aquarium salt, but not too much as I've read cories are sensitive to salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store