Kitty Litter in substitute of Hydroton?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
So I've been thinking about the substrate for my paludarium and I Planned to have a 3-4" layer of Hydroton with some screen on top, then the soil mix. Since I already have the Kitty Litter (super cheap kind from Walmart), Could I use that to the same effect?

Thanks

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Nope. Hydroton is suited for use as a drainage layer because it's light, and won't soften in the water. Cat litter has neither of those advantages. Gravel could work, but deff not the litter.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Hmm. Ive had the Kitty Litter in my snail tank for many months and it seems great.

OilDri is cheap just like the litter though right?

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
while kitty litter makes a good subsate for planted tanks (assuming it the right type) you not looking for a substate youre looking for an area where water can drain so the soil doesn't stay overly wet. also the onlly reason people use Hydroton is because it's nice and light which gravel and i'm assuming OilDri (no clue on the price) but it should work well. also you should be able to pick up Hydroton pretty cheap at hydroponics shop which you should have quite a few around you.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
A better substitue would be crushed lava rock. Get the kind that is crushed to about 1/2 inch in diameter.
Depending on how much water will be on top I'd reverse and put the soil UNDER it Costs about a sixth of hydroton.
Sound more like a riparium than a paludarium?? Going to have diggin fish ?? gary

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
I have another question too. Instead of window screen for the barrier between drainage layer and soil, could I use some Quilt Batting? I have that stuff in surplus and dont really feel like buying a roll of screen Ill never use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store