What is your preferred method of treating Ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which is your preferred method for treating Ich A.K.A White Spot

• NaCl A.K.A Table Salt

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Ich Meds (Aquari-Sol, QuICK Cure, etc..)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Organic Meds (Kordon's Ich Attack etc..)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • MgSO4 A.K.A Epsom Salt (didn't think you could use this but i'm hearing different lately)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Magical Fairy Dust

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Other method(s) not listed above

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Hi all. I belong to a couple of other fish keeping forums besides this one & IMHO AC has the most diverse & knowledgeable forum members I've come across thus far. As such I strongly value your opinions/input regarding fishy business.

So with that said, what's your PREFERRED method for treating Ich - Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (A.K.A White spot)?

Please just vote for your preferred method. However when you post, if you've used more than one method please elaborate as to which method(s) you've used & why you prefer one method over the other(s).

Thank you for your time & input.

Last edited:

sailedNJ

Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
OK me first lol. I voted for Table Salt.

I've used QuICK Cure before & I didn't like it. For one the malachite green it contains stained the silicone & airline tubing in my tank bluish/green lol ( :irked: DOH! why do they say it MAY stain stuff green in the instructions, just tell us YEAH IT'LL STAIN GREEN!). But the real reason for me not "digging" it was that & even though I used the recommended dosages as specified for treating tetras, my tetras didn't react too well to it. Now that's not to say that I lost a few tetras during treatment due solely to using QuICK Cure (that's pretty anecdotal). It could have been a combination of other variables. But the fact that they acknowledge that tetras react to it more sensitively doesn't help QuICK Cure's case IMO.

Table Salt on the other hand is cheaper that meds, more readily available (any super market etc), & I usually have it on hand for other things besides treating Ich, so it comes through in a pinch. In addition I can honestly say that I've never lost a single fish during or immediately after treatment when using table salt.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I prefer the salt and heat method. I've tried meds before and besides finding they don't work, or at least not any quicker than salt, they dye the silicone green, stress the fish more than salt/heat, and I keep many scaleless fish (catfish) so I need to reduce the dosage. I generally always try to avoid meds if possible.
Also I've had fish die from the stress of the meds that I don't believe would have suffered from just heat and salt.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Salt and heat. Controllable without much work, effective, cheap, have on hand at all times, etc.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Salt and heat, for the reasons mentioned above.

Mark

sailedNJ

Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Interesting results so far! About 90% of you that voted prefer using table salt & only 10% voted for meds. I really wish that the person that voted for meds posted his/her reason for preferring meds over other treatment methods (& specifically which med(s) they used).

Folks, please don't forget to make a quick post as to why you prefer the method you voted for, after you make your vote in the poll. For those of you that did make posts, thank you very much! :thm:

Let's keep this poll going, I'm really interested in the final results.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Salt and heat because it stresses the fish less, has less adverse affects on plants and doesn't ruin the carbon in filters like meds. Also cheaper ;)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Another vote for Aquarisol (copper sulfate). Not safe with inverts, however.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store