purple spotted gudgeon Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I might be getting two Purple spotted gudgeon for free.
ok so,,,i have done some reading on these guys.
i might be getting two given to me in two weeks

What i have:
a 40 gallon tall.
500 gallon turn over per hour,
planted, logs and some rocks.

The tank is a bit cold, it stays around 67-73o...
I have 1 6 inch Prickly sculpin that eats anything less then half her size..she is almost full sized, and 2 other sculpin just past the 3 inch mark

the purple spotted gudgeon are currently 4 inches
( i dunno where to post this thread)

does any one have experience with these guys?..do you think two would be ok in my setup?

here is the tank

here is a pic of one of the fish i might be getting

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
bump...anyone know anything about these guys?.....or know a forum i might get my questions answered?

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
yeah..im thinking they will be fine..im a little concerned about the temp.

And i might have to put in some more rocks.

Hoping to come across someone who has kept them , thank you for the link^_^ i have read that page.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
bump....anyone have experience keeping these guys?

killiguy

AC Members
Jun 9, 2011
Geelong Australia
Tough as old boots and easy to spawn.Watch the tank mates;anything that fits in the mouth will be sampled.Any idea what locality they are from ie Northern/Southern Australia or NG

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
do they attack things larger then them selves?... im only worried because my sculpin do not have scales...all soft and squishy..dont want anyone taking a bite out of her

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
I have one who has grown to about 5-6 inches now. He eats anything he can grab, although he was housed with some dwarf cories (during a moving tanks around situation - not the best idea in retrospect) and he picked one up in his mouth and then spat it back out. I imagine it poked him with its spines. From then on he never bothered any of the cories! he's got his own tank now. Not a very active fish, mostly lurks and emerges to eat anytime food is around. Temp wise I have kept him about 75 degrees. Fun fish, pretty and fun to watch when active. He likes to pick those sinking algae wafers up in his mouth and carry them around. It reminds me of a dog carrying a frisbee!

I'm not sure how low they can go temp wise, but otherwise mine seems hardy, eats well and of course needs good water conditions.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
thanks for the info...sadly i had a dispute with a LFS on the site i was looking to get the fish from...and the jerk (LFS owner) went down and got them before i could.....

but i win.cuz he closed i his doors a few weeks later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store