30 gallon unfiltered tub

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Hi all,
I have a 30 gallon tub out back here in mid-missouri. It gets sun for much of the day and temps have ranged since I've had it out and stocked (white cloud mountain minnows, pink ramshorns, bladder snails, yellow shrimp) from 40-98! All animals are healthy and breeding. No filtration or air movement. I have done just 1 50% water change in the 2 months I've had it up. I recently added 4 Danio choprai. The minnows have bred like crazy. I have som sort of palm/papyrus, water hyacinth and anacharis, plus some floaters (duckweed and fairy moss)

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Congratulations! Sounds like a super successful experiment :D

The sun will make it brittle over time, so I would be worried about it splitting open. While not the most aesthetic choice, a few bungee cords is probably all you need to secure it :) In my neck of the woods they sell 3' tall garden edging that looks like mini bamboo fencing, that would look awesome around it to hide the tubness and the blueness of it ;) It's easy to work with, I've cut it with heavy duty scissors before.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Hope that you find it in Missouri! I think Amazon frogbit would complete your planting scheme perfectly :) I used to have a ton of it, then I thinned it way too much and never could grow it the same way again. I got mine from Mellowvision before he became a big shot published author slash fish god :p: (j/k Bill)

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Congratulations! Sounds like a super successful experiment :D

The sun will make it brittle over time, so I would be worried about it splitting open. While not the most aesthetic choice, a few bungee cords is probably all you need to secure it :) In my neck of the woods they sell 3' tall garden edging that looks like mini bamboo fencing, that would look awesome around it to hide the tubness and the blueness of it ;) It's easy to work with, I've cut it with heavy duty scissors before.
plus a frame or something around it should help protect it from that. i know i have left a couple bins like that out side and they have just fallen apart over time.

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
Great experiment Aaron! I need to get you that frogbit! (I don't have a lot of it yet but I can give you a half dozen plants or so)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store