My Angelfish are Here!!! Questions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Hi guys,

I just bought a breeding pair of blue/silver ghost PB platinum proven pair for $90 on aquabid with free shipping and live arrival guarantee. They were shipped 4 days ago, and just came 10 min ago. This is what the link said on how to acclimate them.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?justdisp&Hy640312
Right now, 1 of them is just laying on the bottom of the bag but breathing, and the other one is kind of swimming around. They are both alive. The instructions say to float for an hour, and then just put them in the tank, and not to put in tank water? is this right, please help!!!

I am really worried.

thanks

Btw, they are going in my 72G for now, then they will be moved to a 20G or 29G.

EDIT: They just started moving around and looking at the other fish in the tank. Looks as if they woke up:)

They have been floating for about 10 min. Also, this is pretty funny, when they came, the woman from UPS came, and was shocked, and asked me, are you sure they are live fish, and I am like yeah. Then she said, are you sure they could even be alive, and I am like yeah again. Then, I showed her the tank(it is in the living room, 30ft from the door, and she was like wow. She probably only knew about goldfish and bettas.

Last edited:

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
and now, the other angels are pecking at the bag(high fin koi, adult koi with glitter, and white platinum with glitter)................funny.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Wow 4 days of shipping is a long time!

Once they are temperature acclimated I would get them out of that water. Adding tank water can cause ammonia to rise to lethal levels especially after being in those bags for so long. I would put them in a QT tank so they can at least adjust to your water parameters without the other fish harassing them.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I always get mine out of the bag as soon as they arrive and put them in a fish safe bucket and a cup of tank water with prime in it. Let them sit for 15 min or so and add some more tank water with a bit more prime - sit again, add more plain tank water, sit for 15 min or so, pour out about half the water and add back tank water. I continue this until I have them with 100% (basically) tank water. Let them sit in the tank water for 30 min or so and dip them out into the tank. I have done all mine that way and all have acclimated well to their new homes. Good luck - they have had a long trip!!

Oh and a separate tank is a great idea also!

e5anderm

Registered Member
Apr 16, 2011
Wisconsin
Agree with B2F, put them in a small quarantine tank for a while

When you can get a picture of them, oh and then update your profile pic

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Yeah, I will then. Thanks you guys, I have decided to put them in my 20G tank with a few RCS in it. I don't care if they eat the RCS, as I have lots of them. They were shipped on the 11th. They look more active now. I am going to try ponderingkys way. The seller replied to the email I just sent him, and was very helpful. He also thought that it took too long as usually it was supposed to arrive on Mon or Yesterday at latest. They held it in MI for an extra day, so that is why it was late.
I have 10 tiger shrimp coming in soon too that shipped on Sunday.

I will get a pic of them once I get them into the 20G. I will use that as the breeding tank or go and buy a 29G and set it up in my room.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Here are some pics of the angels floating in my 72G. I am going to use ponderingkys method, and have pics of that soon.:)

one of the pics is of my koi angelfish, which is about 6", and this breeding pair is about 6.5".

So excited!:D

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
sorry, they came out a bit blurry and are hard to see because of the 2 or 3 bags around them. Very nicely packed, though.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
and I am using the same bucket I use for water changes so I suppose it is fish safe, right?

I will get pics as I transfer them, etc. Thanks for the how to ponderingkys.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I always get mine out of the bag as soon as they arrive and put them in a fish safe bucket and a cup of tank water with prime in it. Let them sit for 15 min or so and add some more tank water with a bit more prime - sit again, add more plain tank water, sit for 15 min or so, pour out about half the water and add back tank water. I continue this until I have them with 100% (basically) tank water. Let them sit in the tank water for 30 min or so and dip them out into the tank. I have done all mine that way and all have acclimated well to their new homes. Good luck - they have had a long trip!!

Oh and a separate tank is a great idea also!
Would a 10G glass tank be okay, as that is the largest quarantine tank I have besides a ~50G tote. I can put in cycled tank water, filtration, etc. The seller also said no other fish in their tank for the first few days,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store