Plant Indentification!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0scar

ichthys enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I could really use some help identifying this plant. Breeding some fish that came from a tank with this plant and I have hopes to emulate this setup...

I know it is kinda off topic since it is a breeder tank and not a planted tank--but I figure the best chances of finding a name for this plant are in this thread...

Hint: the plant might be from malaysia or north thailand?

Any suggestions would help too!

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
It kind of looks to me like Rotala Roundafula (I am sure I spelled it wrong, and the exact species might be wrong but I am pretty sure it's a Rotala plant) But if I am correct it's a fairly low light plant, I have had success with it in low light. Probably the easiest stem plant to grow. But Rotala species look a lot alike it and could very easily be a harder to grow higher light requirement species.

Last edited:

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
It looks like some type of Elodea sp.
HTH

PS: You may get more results if you search "anacharis" which is it's common name in the aquarium trade.

0scar

ichthys enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I too was thinking Elodea densa or Rotala rotundifolia... thanks!

I was also thinking Bacopa myriophylloides, ceratophyllum, Egeria densa, or Eriocaulon cinereum

No definitive answer yet, so please shout out ideas!

Edit - from the looks of it... Stalks... with flat, long leafs (leaflets?)... looks like 5 or 6 leafs fanned out like a star per section of growth? Keep in mind if comparing to photos... photos are taken with plant vertical and rooted... these in the photo are growing in bunches--I noticed aqua plants grow diferently when uprooted.-- so the "pedals" or "leafs" may grow in a different orientation...

Last edited:

0scar

ichthys enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Edit - delete duplicate post, shtoopid mobile version won't allow me.

0scar

ichthys enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003
San Francisco, CA
It wasn't my photo, the seller of my fish took it because he couldn't remember the name. I told him it looks like rotala, egeria, and elodea... he replied saying it must be egeria...

However, now that I look at Hydrilla I am again convinced I am conufsed.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
Rotala nanjenshan?

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Have you ordered the fish yet? If not I'd ask if he could just include some in the bags and then use that to "seed" your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store