Electric Cat is STUCK!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
I feel like an idiot even posting this, and it would be funny if it wasn't so unfortunate...

The good news is, so far, nothing has been eaten or electrocuted by my electric cat.

The bad news is, it's likely because I'm pretty sure he's stuck. :eek:

I didn't listen, did I? I was told they're prone to gluttony, like a lot of catfishes, but noooo... just couldn't listen.

He was about 3" when I got him. He's still about 3" - and has eaten so much he cannot get out of his home. He lives in a fake log ornament that's bigger on the inside than either of the openings. The inside of the ornament is maybe 2 - 2" wide, the openings are 1" or so, give or take a little.

And he can't get out.

I didn't think I was feeding him THAT much - 1/2 of a nightcrawler every other day. And because he hides so much, I didn't see how fat he was getting, I guess. Well, tonight I come to clean the tank, and want to scrub off the log ornament because it's getting algae on it - and can't get the E cat out. It's not just that he WON'T come out, I'm absolutely sure he CAN'T come out.

So, what do I do? If I fast him for a while, will he eventually lose enough weight that he can come out? Will there be any detrimental effects to his health? I know fish can go a long, long, LONG time without eating, but "starve and gorge" isn't good for any animal.

Now that I've seriously screwed up, how much should I feed him? Assuming, of course, that I can ever get him out of that log (and yes, when/if he can come out, I'm getting something into which he cannot become stuck).

I'm so embarrassed right now... :footinmouth:

:help:

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I am so sorry, this happens to my plecos a lot, except they don't get fat, and can easily get out of the wholes in my giant piece of DW(35lbs). First of all, a few questions..............................

what kind of materials is the ornament made of(ceramic, plastic, etc.)???

some tips/answers

IF ceramic
-try to break/crack the ornament, but make sure not to put to much pressure, and to do it underwater

IF plastic
-try to pry open the holes(entrances/exits on each end) wider/bigger with your hands/fingers, try stretching it, cutting it(be careful:()

IF other
-do what seems the least risky, and most safe for u and the fish.

It should be able to get out, as it is not like its food comes to it............:)
because unless the above is true(not possible, unless u feed it right to him/her) the catfish would have eaten, and then gotten back in, so try touching him/her safely, and try to gently push him/her out, if that doesn't work, then it is stuck, and the methods above should work

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
You can try to pick up the ornament( but not above the water) and see if he'll try to swim out.
Or if you want to put him on a diet and you don't want to starve him try feeding him a quarter of what you've been feeding him and skip feeding him the next day and feed him the day after.
But if your desperate to get him out asap then the only thing I can think of is to break open the ornament.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
You might have to break the thing to get him out.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
unless u r feeding the food right to him, he would have gotten into the decor AFTER eating, so he was already that fat(unless it takes a long time for them to digest), and that means he got in there, so he should be able to get out.

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
FishBoss - that blue blusher is TO DIE FOR!

And yeah, I was giving the food right to him. There's a hole on the top of the decor, so I was just dropping the nightcrawler in there. Unfortunately, the ornament is that super hard, tough, unbreakable plastic resin stuff. I don't think there's any cracking, breaking, or bending it. I might just have to wait it out. I think if he loses some weight, he will be able to come out.

The only thing I'm worried about with nudging or grabbing the fish is the charge. I know if I'm wearing rubber gloves, it won't hurt me, but what about the other fish in the tank? It's hard water so the charge won't carry as far, and he is a small fish, so it shouldn't be THAT strong. The only other thing I can think, if it comes to physically trying to remove him, is putting the E cat inside the ornament in a bucket, getting the E cat out, and then putting it back in the main tank. I'd be worried about using force, though, since their bodies are so fragile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store