Eye catching catfish 55g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThisSMOKEisBlUE

AC Members
Jun 17, 2011
I'm drawing up some ideas in my head about what i want my 55g to be...so far i have nothing....well besides the thought of maybe a puffer fish or 2...probably one.
Anyways, not set on any ideas for the new tank.

whatever i put in, i somehow want to put effort into getting some beauties in the catfish department. of course they can't be HUGE for a 55g( or maybe they can?help yo>), i already have a bumblbee cat which is my favorite fish at the moment, and "basically only thing in the tank.

btw, brand new, bowfront. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com

ThisSMOKEisBlUE

AC Members
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, idk bout puffer fish too.

idk, everything is still getting setup in the 55gal.

so i have some thinking time, and this thursday i might have a ride to a few pet shops up north with wide selections. hopefully ill find something suitable for my tank. looking for somehting meaningful in someway, i want there to be a reason for having the fish i have, you know?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I loved my pictus cats. They are pretty eye catching and were very active even during the day.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Should resolve the other stocking, IMO, before settling on what type of cat or bottom dweller.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Make sure that you read up on freshwater cycling beforehand.

What species of puffer do you plan on getting? There are very few which will work with the catfish, as the more popular ones are usually brackish. Dwarf Puffers are cool, but would be hard to see in such a big tank. You could try south american puffers too, just keep in mind that all of these guys will only take live or frozen food IME.

I love pictus, but I'd be worried about accidents with dwarf puffers. I don't have experience mixing the two, but it sounds like trouble. Sterbai or other corys would be a better fit with dwarf puffers.

If you get a bigger puffer I'd go with pictus or synos. Plecos or otos will work with everyone, but keep in mind that most plecs are poop producing MACHINES. You'll want upgraded filtration if you do large puffers or bigger plecos. My favorite species of pleco are Bristlenose, which stay relatively small.

Good luck!

ThisSMOKEisBlUE

AC Members
Jun 17, 2011
Make sure that you read up on freshwater cycling beforehand.

What species of puffer do you plan on getting? There are very few which will work with the catfish, as the more popular ones are usually brackish. Dwarf Puffers are cool, but would be hard to see in such a big tank. You could try south american puffers too, just keep in mind that all of these guys will only take live or frozen food IME.

I love pictus, but I'd be worried about accidents with dwarf puffers. I don't have experience mixing the two, but it sounds like trouble. Sterbai or other corys would be a better fit with dwarf puffers.

If you get a bigger puffer I'd go with pictus or synos. Plecos or otos will work with everyone, but keep in mind that most plecs are poop producing MACHINES. You'll want upgraded filtration if you do large puffers or bigger plecos. My favorite species of pleco are Bristlenose, which stay relatively small.

Good luck!
Yeah, i know what you mean. I was kinda thinking on either or. like if i got a puffer i would think to stay with the puff, and the possible chane of bottom dwellers you say? i mean, the puffer i was considering at my LFS was the black river puffer, or humpback pffer...a few names right?

anyways, i would seriously cut out the puffer(not literally cos i love me chicken soup) just to "get me some catfish" [all redneck like].
thats my main priority, catfish in some way...i dont know, they mean something really good. but i reall would like to just get down to having a striking group of awesome beauties.
and first off i know catfish are good with a majority of aggressive fish, so i wouldnt really see why not with a strict freshwater puffer like the humpback puff....eh, idk, i would love opinions on this tho.

ThisSMOKEisBlUE

AC Members
Jun 17, 2011
Should resolve the other stocking, IMO, before settling on what type of cat or bottom dweller.
totally but im more focused on the kind of catfish more than the rest of the tank. of course i want it to look great but im pretty sure most freshwater fish that meet the same requirements as whatever cat i get, and are big enough for the cats not to eat them i dont think it would be a problem.
Synodontis Petricola are my favorite catfish. In larger groups they are really cool and always on the move.
Ah, really like the look of those guys, super pretty.

Only thing, how many would suit the tank plus lets say 1-2 five to six inch semi aggressive fish...or at this point lets just say one big fish?
i really want to avoid overstocking as much as possible....which is as i rember always a good thing to keep fish happy? except for the ones that need company.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store