Cpetrosky's First Saltwater Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
I am finally taking the plunge into saltwater with possibly the hardest way to go about it! i just bought a jbj 3 gallon picotope (tank only) for $5! i also got a biowheel 100 for only $10 so that will be the basis of my setup. lighting will be a desk lamp with a aqueon 10 watt 10k/acintic 50/50 compact florescent. Getting reef sand a reef water from my LFS so cycling should be minimal. Getting my live rock as well, around 3-4 pounds. I plan on keeping some simple corals such as zoas, mushrooms, green star polyps, and maybe some others if i get any good suggestions. Any advice would be appreciated:)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Buy fully cured live rock for a tank that size IMO.

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
im getting it form a guy on craig s list out of one of his tanks he just broke down. is that considered fully cured or not?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes it should be if it is a tank that has been running a while with a bioload. Cured just means that it has colonized with nitrifying bacteria and can process ammonia>nitrates. You should still go slow on stocking and test your water often especially in the beginning. Maybe throw a pinch or two of food in there and see if you get an ammonia spike after a day or 2. The sand you get from the established tank will also have been stirred up and there is a chance you will get spikes from that as well.

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
great. my plan is to get the tank tomorrow, i get my paycheck on Wednesday so go get the water, sand, rock next weekend, wait a week to see how well i can keep that stable, start adding my CUC (1-2 blue leg hermits, 1-2 snails (not turbo)) i think il add them one every two days to try to give the system time to catch up. Then wait 2 weeks with just them, again trying to give myself time to learn with as little $ on the line as possible. Then after the tank has been up for a month if all has gone well, add 1 clown goby and possible a few frags of zoas, shrooms, and other simple corals. eventually add a peppermint shrimp or two as well not sure at what point i should do this tho.

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
ok i got the light and filter today, ended up with a old brass bankers light that holds one long type bulb. i put an aqueon 50/50 10 watt bulb in it and it looks like it projects good light on my desk. should be picking up tank tomorrow then i will put some pictures up:)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Definitely test your water often while you are waiting and have a good supply of extra water (mixed and fresh RO/DI) on hand. A week probably should be 2 before you add life but really your test kits will tell you when its safe. Not really a timeline to get a tank stable. Every tank is different. A month in with cured rock you will probably be fine for the goby and some zoas. The shrimp can go in before that assuming the tank is healthy.

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
i bought two 7 gallon camping water containers one with saltwater and one with RO. my LFS dosent offer Ro/Di, is that a problem? and thank you for the articles, they were very informative on what people have done:)

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Actually shocked by that last post, your LFS doesn't sell RO/DI? I have never heard such a thing (although I believe you). I would spend $13 at Wal-Mart and pick up a TDS meter to test your freshwater. If your LFS doesn't sell RO/DI I question how good their RO is. It is possible to use RO water but not recommended, especially on such a small tank, you have so little room for error that adding unknowns that could be in RO water may cause issues. On the other hand, if it is good RO water (under 20 TDS) then I see no problem using it. Key is knowing the quality of the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store