My Sterbai is funny looking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I have a group of Sterbai that are about a year and a half old. One looks like she has a waist. She has always looked like this and she seems healthy and happy and eats well. Just wondered if anyone has seen this before.

[YT]i6y_kCwS-1A[/YT]

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That is weird! Maybe a birth defect or early injury, but it looks healthy otherwise. Maybe she's trying to start a new wasp waisted strain of sterbai since there are so many "balloon fish" these days.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Aren't they just the cutest fish?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
interesting! i'd say birth defect, where the abdominal muscles aren't long enough/aligned properly.

your cories would be really happy if you switched out their large gravel substrate to sand!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
interesting! i'd say birth defect, where the abdominal muscles aren't long enough/aligned properly.

your cories would be really happy if you switched out their large gravel substrate to sand!

I don't know if you remember a couple of months ago when the back blew off my 60G? I was just grabbing fish as fast as I could and dumping them into my 40G that has gravel. Now that my new 75G is cycled I am moving all the fish back in there. It is planted, with a sand substrate, finally cycled and I think they will love it. Unfortunately they will be the last ones moved because I am going to have to tear up my 40G tank (also fully planted) to catch them. :p

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
ah yes! i do remember that blow out. i think i was checking my tank seams every day for a few weeks after i read that thread!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store