Electric Cat is Almost Definitely Sick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
So, it's been a week since I posted about the "too fat to get out of the decor" situation with my E cat. In that time, he's eaten/been offered only 1/2 of a nightcrawler.

Today I cleaned yesterday and saw something is clearly wrong with him, and it's not just being fat.

He honestly looks like he's retaining water, and he's fat ALL OVER, not just his belly like a catfish that's overeaten would look. He can barely even swim. His body is so bloated there's an actual dent by his anal fin, and his body looks translucent.

He looks OK otherwise, and seems alert and like he would be active if he wasn't so large. There is some very minor redness along his lateral line, but nowhere else, and it's not very bad. I'm not even sure it's the product of a disease or not.

I do have a pic, but I have to wait to get home to get it off my camera. It's not the best, but it might help you guys tell me a little better what's going on.

In the meantime, though, do you have any ideas? Is it possible for a fish to retain water? Or is he just really THAT fat?

ETA: I know they're supposed to be a little fat and "bloated" looking, because they need the fat to insulate them from their own charge. I just feel like this is above what it considered normal. Unless I'm totally wrong and they're supposed to be that fat.

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
All right, guys, sorry for the delay. Here's the picture. This fish is NOT doing well. He came out of his home yesterday, and hasn't been back in. Normally he hides. I thought he was just fat, but this is clearly something more.

sickcat.jpg

sickcat.jpg

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Poor guy is severely bloated. Often this is caused by diet, or possibly a parasite. I'm hoping someone else may be able to give more specific info on the causes and treatment options, and maybe get some help for him. I would do some research on bloat in the meantime...

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, I feel so guilty and sad. I didn't realize this was happening until I got him out of his home. He just hid so much that I didn't see it, and from what I could see of him, he just looked fat - like a distended belly a fish would get from eating a lot. I don't know what meds I can use on a scaleless fish like this though. I really hope someone can help.

Edit: I did do some reading, and found http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?45617-BLOAT-Photos-amp-Treatment

Where can I get metronidazole? Is it safe for scaleless fish, and can I salt with a scaleless fish?

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I do know that metronidazole is the active ingrediant of many fish medications. I can't think of brand names off the top of my head, but if you go to one of your LFS and look at the components of the medication, you can find one that is metronidazole based. Maybe someone else can jump in and give more medication recommendations, including what is scaleless fish safe.

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
I just checked the meds I had on hand, and luckily I have some API General Cure around. 250 mg metro and 75 praziquantel per packet. 1 packet treats 10 gallons, and I had 2 on hand, which is a half dose in my 40 breeder. Everything else I've had recommends 1/2 dose for scaleless fish, so I removed my carbon and started the tank on that. That's about what I can do for tonight, and at least it's trying something...

I know salt would also help this fish purge the excess fluid, but can I use that with the meds? I also have angels in the tank, and angels + salt generally don't mix.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
It really would be best if you can remove him to smaller tank for treatment. I know angelfish and most catfish can tolerate some, but it should be added slowly and keep below recommended dosage. Id use half dosage that the salt box recommends. Im also not sure about mixing the salt with the medication, although usually its ok. Many tanks that are dosed with meds already have salt in them that has been routinely added.

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
I have a 10 gallon lying around I could set up, but it's completely uncycled, so I'm worried that would just cause more problems. I'll pick up some salt tomorrow and start slowly.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
API General Cure is fairly mild stuff. I'd dose full strength in the 10G and get some more (you'll need at least 2 doses worth, possibly more, and it's a good thing to have around). It's really only good for internal parasites, so if it doesn't work you've got another problem here...

I use it full strength on my green spotted puffer, which is a scaleless fish, without any issues.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Yeah, I feel so guilty and sad. I didn't realize this was happening until I got him out of his home. He just hid so much that I didn't see it, and from what I could see of him, he just looked fat - like a distended belly a fish would get from eating a lot. I don't know what meds I can use on a scaleless fish like this though. I really hope someone can help.

Edit: I did do some reading, and found http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?45617-BLOAT-Photos-amp-Treatment

Where can I get metronidazole?
Is it safe for scaleless fish, and can I salt with a scaleless fish?
This is where I get mine. http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store