Cories and Pleco letting themselves be nipped?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

g_adams27

Registered Member
Jul 28, 2006
I have a strange problem that I haven't seen before. My 50gal tank has a large number of semi-mature Red Wag Swordtail fry. They're about 1-2" long, and I probably have at least 30-35. (other fish in the tank include cories, danios, scissortails, neon tetras and a pleco - maybe 15 other fish in addition to the swordtails)

I have seen the swordtails come up and nip at the sides of the pleco and the cories while they're resting. Neither the pleco nor the cories ever react to this, so I figured it was something harmless. But it appears that the cories scales are looking much "shinier" now - as if perhaps it's been picked raw!

Anyone know what's going on here? If this is harmful to the cories and pleco, why aren't they jerking and swimming away? (They act otherwise like perfectly healthy fish.) And if this is something I need to stop, how?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
If the plecos and cories aren't reacting I would think they are not being harmed. I have never heard of this behavior. It's doubtful you can do anything to stop it short of separating the fish. Just keep an eye on the overall health of them, but I think it's harmless to them. The swordtails may just be removing tiny bits of food particles that land on the resting bottomdwellers.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store