Tank size question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ramatthews

Registered Member
Jun 27, 2011
Hi All,

I am new to aquaria central, so hopefully you can help me out. I purchases a 225l tank about 4 months ago. The lady at the petshop instructed me to get two Dophin F2000 internal filters for the tank. I have been running the tank for 4 months now, just to find out that my electricity has significantly increased. Can this be the filters, and if so, can I get away by only using one, and not both? My water has also turned yellow since I inserted driftwood. I am aware this is because of the tannents, but how long will this still be like that? Any ideas how to get rid of it?

Please advice what I can do?

Thanks a mil

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Could be that the filters you got are energy hogs. Not sure as Ive never messed with those kind before. Also it depends on your fish stock if youde be able to get away with only one filter or not. Also the tannin's can sometimes take as little as a month to stop leaching into the water or in some cases over a year. Just varies on the type of wood its size denisty ect. Best way to keep water clear with driftwood in there is by using a high performance carbon in your filter.

Welcome to AC. Hope you enjoy it here.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Couple things to consider 1: Has anything else that uses electricity been added to your home since the filters and the increase in cost. 2: Did you soak your wood before placing in the tank? Carbon and or Purigen will remove tannins until they stop leeching.. It could take a long time depending on the size of the piece.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Can you define "significant"? I find it hard to believe that you would even notice them on an electric bill considering the flucuations in energy pricing and seasonal changes. From what I can find on google, they are 14 watts each....I have night lights that consume more power than that. What ever caused the increase in your electric bill surely wasn't the filters.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Well, +1 on looking into sponge filters, and probably your filters didn't cause that, the only hike you could notice would be if you had a few big tanks, with 300 watt heaters.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Look at your electric bill and find the kw/hr charge.....multiply all the heaters wattage by 24 and add them together. Then do the math. Assume they are on 24 hrs a day. Would take a fair amount of heaters to add $50 to a bill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store